3

Charlotte tossed and turned all night but when she woke up bright and early the next morning, she did not feel tired at all. She anxiously awaited by the clock, watching the minute hand inched closer and closer until it hit nine o'clock. She picked up the phone and dialed with shaky fingers. The line rang five times before someone picked up.

"Department of Archaeology and Anthropology." A woman's elegant voice answered on the other side. Although the woman's voice seemed uncertain at first, Charlotte couldn't believe her ears when the lady told her the position was still open and asked her if she would like to come in for an interview that very afternoon. When Charlotte got off the phone, she immediately changed into a brown skirt, a white cotton blouse and her best peacoat. She checked herself in the closet door mirror to make sure she looked decent before she rushed out to catch the next bus to the nearest underground station.

She got off first at the Upper State stop and went into the public library. She had spent so much time here over the past four years she was sure she could make her way around even blindfolded. Unlike other students, she couldn't afford her own computer so she had to use the ones in the library to work on her assignments throughout college. The moment the librarian Mrs. Hawks saw her walked through the door, she signaled her to the back, her face stern as ever. Though sometimes Charlotte wondered if Mrs. Hawks knew how to smile, she knew she was the kindest woman she had ever met. They met one Sunday evening during her first year in college. The computer room at the college had closed that day and her assignment was due the next day. Unfortunately, when she got to the library, she found only one station functioning. She remembered waiting fretfully behind this kid hogging it, surfing for video games tips. She tapped her feet, cleared her throat and clicked her tongue many times but the rotten kid still did not get the hint. She remembered checking her watch every other minute. Great! Only half an hour left before the library closes. Just then someone tapped her on the shoulder. It was Mrs. Hawks. At first, Charlotte thought that she was being kicked out and the library was closing early that day. But Mrs. Hawks motioned Charlotte to follow her. They went to a room in the back. There was a small student desk and a desktop computer sitting idle. "You can use this. I'll be staying for another hour after closing." Mrs. Hawks told her, her face emotionless, and then she went back to the reception desk. From that day on, Mrs. Hawks continued to let her use the back room whenever she needed, especially whenever the college computer room became overcrowded before term papers were due. She later told Charlotte that the computer in the back room was for cataloging but it was idle most of the time because they couldn't find any volunteers for the job. So Charlotte started helping out whenever she could, sort of returning the favor. From then on, they had developed a silent arrangement and an odd friendship. Even though Charlotte had become a customary visitor, she had rarely heard Mrs. Hawks speak if not spoken to and never even once saw her smile. In fact, she still felt quite awkward around her.

Charlotte hurried to the back room, flicked on the monitor and looked at her watch as she waited for the computer to boot. Eleven o'clock. It would take half an hour on the train to Metrocity. The interview would be at twelve-thirty. She still had about one hour. She sat down and began to work. She needed to revise her resume. She hadn't elaborated on her college major and tutoring experience on her resume when she had applied to other jobs previously. No one in their right mind would pay attention to them when they were just hiring a simple store clerk. She worked feverishly until her back started to feel a bit stiff. Finally, she let out a sigh. It was done. She glanced at her watch. Ten past twelve. Oh no! She quickly hit print, snatched up the papers at the printer, grabbed her coat and ran. But even in her hurry, she took a second to sneak a peek at the reception desk and saw Mrs. Hawks frowning briefly, shaking her head disapprovingly at her running but at the same time flashed a faint smile. Charlotte beamed. She could feel her luck turning. Today was going to be a good day.