47

CHARLOTTE rounded a corner and the massive stone-faced Lockwood mansion came into view. Keeping her head down, she continued to the back where she scouted a couple of days before. Still crouching low, she unwrapped the package she brought and threw it with all her might ten yards away into the open landing beyond the bushes. There were several yelps and two giant black hounds rushed into the landing, tearing the package open. With the hounds were busy tearing at the steaks, Charlotte ran through the bushes and to the back door facing the landing. She grabbed the door knob, took a deep breath and closed her eyes. There was a click. She knew she had succeeded. She twisted the knob. The door instantly threw ajar. She slipped in.

Her heart was pounding so hard it seemed like it was jumping into her throat. She took another deep breath and quickly moved on. She hadn't been to this part of the mansion but she knew her target was upstairs. Still staying in the shadows when she reached the foyer, she closed her eyes and opened up her supernatural senses. She felt no living presence. The house was empty. She heaved a sigh of relief and started to climb up the open winding staircase to the second floor, remembering the portraits of the Lockwood's leathered-face ancestors, she dared not look at any one of the eerie paintings along the wall.

Finally she had come to the mirrored doors. She knew she wouldn't be able to open this set of doors with her powers but she wasn't worried. Her lips twisted to a smile. She got something else better. She had an advantage. She had been behind those doors. That would be her key. She closed her eyes and within seconds, disappeared on the spot into the room beyond.