3. detention.

"Nugghhhh," I groan when Onyx tries to drag me out of bed.

"Evan. Class. Ten minutes. Already missed breakfast. Let's go," Onyx snaps, and I can tell she's feeling as awful as I do.

"What. . . class. . .?" I ask, groaning into my pillow as Pansy and Onyx both try to drag me out of bed, one on each of my arms. They're both pulling in their own directions, and I'm just staying stationary, starfished on my bed.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," Pansy answers, very shortly and irritably. She gives up on trying to pull me out of bed and instead flops down beside me. I wrap my arms around Pansy's neck and we both groan in agony, our heads throbbing. Onyx sighs and, seeing as both Pansy and I have given up, she takes it upon herself to drag us both.

"Come onnnn," Onyx whines, pulling one of my wrists and one of Pansy's so hard, we are yanked off the side of the bed and both go tumbling down to the floor.

"Bitch!" Pansy exclaims, and I rub my elbow, hissing in pain.

I look down and see, to my complete astonishment, that the vase from my nightstand is shattered on the floor next to me and I've just cut my elbow on the shards.

"What the fuck happened to my vase?"

---

All six of my merry band of Slytherins are nursing killer hangovers.

Snape is droning on and on about werewolf venom, the level of toxicity and how to spot a complete werewolf bite. The lights are off because he's showing a slideshow, but this does nothing to help my sensitive eyes.

Pansy has her head on my shoulder, and I'm sure she's snoozing. Onyx and Theo are at the table behind us and they're both leaning on their hands, drooling. Blaise and Malfoy are to the left of us, and every once in a while I hear Blaise groan, especially when Snape clicks to the next slide and we are momentarily blinded by the light.

I can't take it anymore.

"Pssst," I hiss to the two redheads in front of me. "Oi!" I whisper scream in desperation.

Fred Weasley turns around, grinning at me. He quirks an eyebrow and his brother laughs at me.

"Rough night?" Fred mouths. I nod and make pleading hands.

Fred knows what I want. He reaches into his bag and, after a glare from Snape and a few moments of anticipation, he sets a small vial of potion on the floor under his desk. He kicks it gently and it rolls backwards, hitting right up against my foot.

I make praying hands and close my eyes in thanks.

"I love you," I mouth dramatically to Fred, who laughs, and I reach down to retrieve the hangover cure from my feet.

A loud smack awakens my senses, and I almost drop the potion that will lead to my salvation.

Snape has snapped his book down onto his desk and, to my utter horror, he suddenly flips on the lights, causing all of my Slytherin friends to groan in pain.

"Turn to page 97 of your textbooks. Now," Snape drawls. There's a shuffle as we all open our books, and Pansy snaps awake when I nudge her, glaring at me and rubbing her forehead.

When Snape isn't looking, I down half the potion and hand the rest to Pansy. She practically cries, downing it quickly so as not to be seen.

The effects are not immediate, but by the time class is over, I no longer want to pitch myself off of the Astronomy Tower.

At least, momentarily.

Because without having to focus on the pain in my skull, I now remember the events of the previous night.