Chapter 4

Percy's pov

When he first saw the looming castle in the distance, Percy was slightly reminded of one of those German castles. The only reason that he knew that what German castles even looked like because Annabeth liked to babble about the architectural genius of the historical era and it was hard not to catch on to some facts even if he zoned out.

The castle stood out in the distance, the around it crackling with anticipation of the upcoming year. Then for first time in months, his blood sang in excitement. His inner thunderbird adventurer making itself known. He wanted to explore every passage and open all the doors of this school.

"Impressive ain' it?" a rumbling voice spoke from behind. Percy struggled not to give in to the instinct to flinch and pull-out riptide. Hagrid- a good half-giant apparently was the groundskeeper and the professor of care of magical creatures at Hogwarts.

Percy glanced at his side to look at the reaction of his companion. He did not know her very well. If he remembered correctly, she is in Pukwudgie. She had short black hair and pale skin which contrasted her midnight eyes, a look of fascination on her face. Her name was Rose Mcmillian.

"Yeah, it looks awesome and mysterious," Rose commented.

Percy nodded in agreement. The sounds of an incoming train can suddenly be heard from the distance. The three of them turned to look at the old train coming to a stop on the tracks. "Is that a steam engine train?" Percy asked incredulously.

"That it is, lad. The Hogwarts Express. Very useful to bring all the students here," Hagrid explained.

It was strange to see a steam engine in this day and age. These Brits sure don't adapt to the new era very well, he thought.

"Where do we have to go?"

Hagrid scratches his head and looks thoughtfully at the train coming to a screeching halt. The doors open and a crowd of students step out in a hurry wearing what he assumed was the standard issued robes.

Personally, Percy did not like wearing robes. He just felt awkward in them. On some people, robes looked dashing but on him it looked like he was wearing bath robes looking out of place. He wished wizards wore capes instead but he couldn't see it becoming a trend.

The voice of Hagrid speaking brought him out of his wandering thoughts. "Yer' jus' need ta go on those carriages. They'll take ya to Hogwarts."

Percy noticed most of the older heading towards the carriages. So, they thanked Hagrid for the directions and followed the rest of the students. As they got closer, he saw something strange about the horses pulling the carriages. Their body were reptilian, with bat-like wings. They were pure black and looked ethereal in a way. Their black coats clinging to the bones.

Thestrals.

He had never seen them up close. America was not a place where many magical creatures liked to roam. He figured it had something to the with the gods staying there and making more monsters populate the country. Magical and mythical creatures liked to stay away from each other.

The thestrals stomped their hooves in greeting as soon as they sensed his presence. Welcome lord.

Thestrals were said to be created by Hecate and Poseidon. So, they still respected Percy, despite being magical. Percy bowed his head a little in respect and promised to visit them later.

Percy knew that there were a lot more creatures here unlike Ilvermorny but knowing and seeing are two different things.

Percy and Rose made their way to an empty carriage, Rose being oblivious to the majestic creatures he had greeted.