The Start of it All

It is Clary birthday!

She went off to apply at a art school. I knew that she wouldn't be able to go, but I know she loves it.

While she was gone me and mom talked about the future.

"Mom, she will find out soon. She has been drawing them more and more. You can't possibly hide it from her."

"I know. But I can only hope that she doesn't find out that soon." She looked at me. "Atleast.....not til I can explain it all to her."

'I knew that is what you were going to say. And in away you will. But it won't happen the way you want it to, mom.'

"Alright. Just know that I will be there to protect her. So don't get to worried." I look at her with a smile.

She smiles at me, "I know you will sweetie. Just- live your life to baby. Please."

"Yes, ma'am." My smile turns into a slight smirk.

I walk down to the shop to talk with Dot for a bit. We talk about menial things. And Clary walks in.

"How's your future looking." Clary asked Dot as she sat her bag down.

Dot looked at the cards for a second then looked back up at Clary. "Not as good as yours. The tarot cards tell me that you got into the academy."

Clary slightly roles her eyes and leans down on the display case. "And by tarro cards you mean Simon's Twitter page."

"Ok I follow him." Dot does a little sigh laugh. Don't ask me I don't know how she did it.

"Turn out predicting the future with tarro cards is complicated," Dot turns of the card with the cup on it. "But I do see a birthday present in your future." She picks up Clary's gift bag.

"Dot..." Clary says in the 'you shouldn't have' tone of voice then starts to open it.

"Open it." Dot kinda squeals.

"Yeah Clary. I know you'll love it." I gave her a small smirk when she looked at me.

"Wow." She say in disbelief when she pulls out a cluby shirt.

"Yeah, you might wanna keep this on the DL cause your moms my boss and I don't want her to freak ou."

"But that's how I know it's cool."

"Yep. And besides mom wouldn't freak out to much. She would just be like, "Is that really appropriate? What are you gonna do about all the stares from the horny boys?" I speak up and tell them.

They laugh a little.

"You know your way better at gift giving then magical predicting the future." Clary looks back a t Dot.

"Nothing magical about it, I just buy the things that I wanna wear." Dot says with a shrug. Clary pulls Dot into a hug.

"Happy birthday." Dot. Ugh this conversation is taking so long. And then the awkward Dot moment.

"You ok?" Clary looks at Dot worried.

"Nothing just Happy birthday." They smile at each other.

"Well mom is waiting upstairs so, why don't we go up?" I look at Clary and ask.

"Yeah, go up and see your mom." Dot agrees.

"Alright." And up the stairs we go.

"You did it! Yay!" Mom squealed.

"You also follow Simon." Clary states.

"He only has 92 followers he needs the re-tweets." Mom and Clary hug.

"Thank you. Hashtag stalker mom." Clary laughs and put her stuff down.

Mom hands Clary her gift. "Happy birthday."

Mom and Clary sit on the couch and I sit on the table in front of them.

Clary opens up the box.

"It's called a stele." Mom told Clary.

"What is it? Like a paper weight?" Clary looks at mom curiously.

"No it is much more than that kit." I look at her in the eyes.

"It's very ancient. I want you to have it." Mom tells Clary. "It's a family heirloom."

Clary laughs a little, "We Fray's have heirlooms?"

"We have a few." I reply.

"It's weird," Clary runs her finger over one of the symbols. "I doodled something like this, this morning. Must have seen this around the house or something."

Mom looked at her worried the looked to me. I gave her an 'I told you so' look.

"Clary listen there's something I want to talk to-"

Ring    

Ring    

Ring

Clary looks at her phone. "It's Simon he is on his way." She gets up off the couch.

"But we need to talk."

"I can't right now. I gotta go change. Me and Lily are going to go watch Champaign Enema tonight."

"What?" Mom asks

"Yeah I know. It's the new band name." Clary shakes her head. "But Simon and Marie are taking us out afterwards."

"But it's your...18th birthday, and, uh..." Mom inhale deeply, "everything is gonna change for you know."

"Mom we've had the talk. I'm good."

She trys to get leave.

"We need to have a much different and more important talk."

"And we will. But it can be over breakfast, alright." Clary kisses moms forhead, "I love you." Clary picked up her stuff and headed to her room to change. "Thank you for the heirloom! Love you."

Mom looked after her worried.

"I'll be with her, mom."

She looks over at me.

"I won't let her get hurt."

"I know you won't baby." She gives me a hug and a forhead kiss.

"I'll go get ready now. Love you." I give her a quick hug and leave to my room.