ONE

I couldnt put up with him anymore, he wanted to talk to me from 8 o'clock in the morning until whenever I went to bed (Which ended up usually being 10-10:30 at night). He did it every damn day and I was tired of it.

My phone began to blow up with messages from him asking me to get online so that we could game. I sigh and pick up my headset, plugging it into my controller and turning the Xbox on. The second I sign onto my account a party and game invite pop into my inbox. Today was the day I wanted to walk away from him and never turn back to question it.

"Where have you been all morning!?" He exclaimed.

"Jesus! Give me a minute before you yell at me Miles. I just woke up" I replied, turning down his volume.

"Oh...sorry." Miles sighed. "I just miss you and really wanted to play something"

A wave of guilt struck me like a train, but I didn't know if he intentionally wanted me to feel bad or if this was one of his games. His painful, manipulative game I got myself trapped in the second I unblocked him from last time. I took a deep breath and set down my controller.

"I cant play anything today Miles" I said in a flat tone. "I'm leaving today, you know that"

"Yeah but you can play with me until you leave and then text me while your there like you have been right?" Miles asked frantically.

"No. Miles you aren't getting it" My tone changed to be more gentle and motherly, the best attempt I had to let him down easy. "I dont want to be friends anymore, I cant do it. You take me away from having a life, a real life. You manipulate me and I kept forgiving but I'm done, I'm tired."

A dead silence stared, I could probably hear a pin drop from his mic halfway across the country. I picked up my controller and hovered over the 'Leave Party' option. That button never felt so pleasing to hit....until now.

Taking off my headset I layed back in my bed sprawled out and stared at the ceiling smiling...I was finally free. My mind was racing with possibility, I could enjoy life without being glued to my phone. I wasn't scared of him anymore, as my thumb hit the block button on every form of social media a weight lifted from my shoulders.

Having such a toxic person talk to me everyday, I felt ugly. Standing up I walked to the back of my door where my mirror hung, I had only used it to send him mirror pictures when he asked but in this moment I observed and saw myself.

I had a round face with a small button nose and soft lips, framed by my wavy, shoulder length, brown hair. My pale skin with pink accents in my cheeks, my hazel eyes with a blue outline that always astonished others when they saw them. I felt out of place, I didnt fit that status quo of 'pretty'.

"Emma, honey!" My mom called, snapping my from my self doubting thoughts. "Pack up if you havent already, we are leaving in a few!"

Just another weekend to my family, but to me this was a big opportunity. This was a chance for me to enjoy being away from home, enjoy being free.

I check the weather on my phone and pick up my duffel bag. It was going to be high 60's outside, my favorite type of weather. I grabbed a back up sweatshirt, 3 pairs of denim jeans, a tank top, a few t-shirts, and 2 pairs of sweat pants. I look back into the mirror checking my current outfit, a purple hoodie with black writing on the back, skinny jeans, and my all black high tops. Simple yet good enough.

Zipping up my bag I walked out of my room for the weekly 'Do you have everything?' interrogation she gave me and my sister before we left.

"Shirts?"

"Yup"

"Pants?"

"Yup"

"Sweatshirts?"

"Yup"

"Socks?"

"Wait- yup"

"Ok, bra's and underwear?"

How the hell did I manage to forget that. I laughed nervously, "I will be right back."

"Really Emma.." My mom and younger sister sighed.

I fast walked into my bedroom and shoved random bra's and underwear into my bag before shoving it in the car so we could leave.