I

Standing in the Shinra company courtyard is the most beautiful person in all of Midgar. Ariadne Rhapsodos has long red-brown hair and blue eyes to match her twin brother. She wears tight black pants, knee-high black boots, and a long red coat. Ariadne has a dangling earring in her left ear and a stud in the right.

I run up and hug her, burying my face in her hair. "Ariadne," I sigh happily.

She giggles as she pulls away. "I'm so glad everyone made it back safe and sound."

I force a smile. I know she's referring to not only me and Genesis. I feel a slight jealousy build up inside my chest. I don't like how she's overly kind to Zack, Cloud, and Angeal. Sometimes, I worry that she doesn't truly love me, but I must trust her. "Indeed, my love. Everyone returned and the people of Midgar are safe."

"Sephy, is something on your mind?" Ariadne takes my hand and leads me over to a bench.

I sit beside her allowing her to rest her head on my shoulder.

Ariadne closes her eyes and sighs. She has always found safety and comfort with me. Ariadne is probably still upset about not being allowed to go. She was forced to stay due to some experiments and tests.

I find myself reflecting on how we Jenovas came to be.

                                                                                      ❦❦❦

Years ago, scientists were performing experiments in attempts to create a pureblood Cetra. They began experimenting on mothers and their unborn children.

Angeal and Abigail, Genesis and Ariadne, and Bailey were the results from Project G. They each got Jenova cells from Gillian Hewley. None of the five were what the scientists wanted.

Because of this, one of the scientists wanted to try a different approach. Dr. Hojo believed that the best method would be to inject the Jenova cells directly into the fetus. He started Project S.

I was the result of Dr. Hojo's experiments. I honestly don't feel like I'm anything similar to the others. I don't remember ever having a mother. I was raised in the lab and it was there that I earned my name.

Ariadne and Genesis may not have grown up with their mother, but they had Gillian Hewley.

Angeal was the only one of us who grew up with his own mother. Over time, he became the caring figure to all of us. Angeal's age and upbringing made him perfect for the role.

Abigail, Angeal's little sister, didn't get the privilege of being raised by Gillian. But she has— and still has—Angeal.

Bailey was raised carefully by Rufus Shinra. She was the child of a Shinra employee who didn't want children.

Out of all of us, I had the least caring upbringing. I remember waking up every morning to scientists running tests on me and stabbing my flesh with needles. I grew up with so many scars.

                                                                                    ❦❦❦

I shudder at the memories.

Ariadne stirs, waking. "Sephiroth, I have something I need to tell you."

I turn to face her. I feel my stomach fill with nervousness. "Is everything alright?"

Ariadne smiles brightly. "Everything is alright! I now have permission to get married and start my own family," she pauses as she frowns, "but under one condition."

My heart pounds against my ribcage. I don't understand why I'm panicking. I should be used to these kinds of things by now. I calm myself and ask, "What is the condition?" I feel my hands starting to sweat, soaking my black gloves. I quickly take them off.