Chapter 3

THIRD PERSON ▪︎ POV

One autumn day when the leaves were falling and the temperature was low, Kade called Azure into their living room which was warm and toasty and lit up with a log fire. He was smiling brightly as he sat on the couch and watched Azure obediently scamper into the room in his cat form, tail high and proud, black fur shiny and clean, blue eyes as pretty as ever.

He patted his lap and Azure shifted, quick to scramble over and perch on top of Kade's big thighs. Kade hugged him and Azure purred, rubbing his cheek affectionately against Kade's jaw scruff. He wrapped his arms tightly around Kade's neck, pressing his naked body in close. "I wanted to talk to you,'' Kade hummed softly.

Azure nodded distractedly. He swiped his little pink tongue out to lick at Kade's chin. He was simply grooming his beard, something he liked to do that Kade had never put a stop to. Not only did it feel good, it was another way for them to bond in Azure's feline way. "You've really come far these past few months and I'm so proud of you," Kade continued.

"You've worked so hard and you were brave and strong enough to change, even when there were some things you didn't like or found hard. Because of that, I'm super pleased with you Azure and you should be delighted with yourself too."

Azure nodded, an almost arrogant beam on his face. "I am a very good kitty," he nodded confidently and Kade laughed.

"Indeed you are. That's why, I want us to be mates, Azure. I want you to be my boyfriend and spend the rest of your life here with me. Do you understand? Is that what you want?" Kade asked, even though he knew he didn't have to. It was something Azure had always gone on about wanting.

Azure bounced up and down and let out a happy squeal as he nodded frantically. "Yes! I want to be your boyfriend and you're going to be my boyfriend! Only mine!"

"Yep," Kade confirmed, his gaze soft as he watched Azure's blue eyes sparkle with his excitement. "Because I'm a wolf and you're a cat, I can't bite you to claim you. Our bond wouldn't form since our DNA is different. But, I do want you to wear my mark in some other form, so I bought you this..." Kade reached behind him and pulled out a black box. He handed it over to Azure.

Azure curiously sniffed at it, before opening it up. Inside was a thin, black velvet choker with an azure-blue, tear drop shaped pendant hanging from the centre. Azure's eyes were wide with wonder as he stared at it. He didn't really understand what it was, but it was pretty and Kade bought it for him, therefore, he was perfectly delighted with his present. "Thank you," he grinned up at his boyfriend, his body jittery with happiness.

Kade laughed, seeing Azure's underlying confusion. He lifted Azure easily and brought him out into the hallway where a mirror hung beside the front door. Then, he took the box, pulled out the soft choker and lovingly placed it around Azure's neck while he stared at his reflection. He placed the pendent in the centre of his neck and stroked it. "So that you know you're mine and everyone else knows you're mine too. If I bite you, it'll heal, but this, you can keep forever."

Azure looked at himself in the mirror, at how the jewellery sparkled against his dark brown skin. He liked it, actually, he loved it a lot. He beamed at himself, puffing out his chest. He wore Kade's mark, he belonged to Kade and Kade belonged to him. "But what about you? I want you to wear one, Kade," Azure frowned, realising he didn't have anything to give Kade in return. He wanted Kade to wear his mark too.

Kade reached into his shirt, as though expecting Azure to have that exact complaint. He pulled out a thin silver chain necklace and dangled his matching azure-blue pendant in front of Azure who gasped and clapped his hands with pleasure. "We have each other's mark!"