Chapter 5

So in honor of my first HTTYD fan fic reaching 50K views I pushed through writers block and present to you the end of the cliffhanger. Let the adventure continue.

The dragons shot off the platform. The crowd roared as the dragons and riders blurred past the stands. The dragons circled the village when one of them dove below the line of houses. Nata and Ayala had found the first sheep. They rose dodging Dagur and Shattermaster. Ayala dove toward the platform with the sheep in her talons. The crowd roared as the pair dropped the sheep into a net hanging under the platform. The dragons raced off again to search the village.

Heather and Algoma came to sit beside Astrid and the gang. She laughed when she saw the confusion many of the Berkians wore. "You all look a little lost so I will explain. The platform the dragons launched from has doors that were opened by some of the villagers. Each one is painted so the dragons and riders can tell which net is theirs. There are 25 white sheep worth a point each. The 26th sheep is black and worth 10 points. All the sheep are let loos through the town making it similar to search and rescue. When all the other sheep have been caught the black sheep will be launched from that contraption there. The winner is the one with the most points at the end."

Another cheer went up as another dragon and rider pair scored a point. "I feel a little sorry for Maska and Dohoson, they really chose the wrong day to start their racing career."

Gobber sitting above them over heard and was curious. "What do you mean by that lass?"

"Hiccup and Toothless as you heard are the best. They have trained themselves to be the best. Especially after what happened at Dragon's Edge. Then my brother is a little crazy. Only Mala and Hiccup have any chance of controlling him. He and Shattermaster tend to bully others when in races. Normally we have the newbies run in their own races, but with everyone working to rebuild a lot of the younger riders don't have the strength to race. The Twins, however, insisted they wanted to try." Heather shrugged and turned back to the race.

Everyone watched as the race went on. Damario managed to get three sheep. Ayala managed to get five while the Twins managed to get four. Dagur was leading with nine. Hiccup surprisingly had four.

Astrid noticed the worried look Heather wore. "What's wrong Heather?"

"Something is wrong with Hiccup and Toothless. Normally Dagur and Shattermaster don't stand a chance against Hiccup and Toothless."

A horn sounded causing the crowd to roar again. The dragons continued to circle as the machine was wound up. Suddenly the dragons dove as a black object shot into the air. The crowd roared again as Toothless shot over the nets dropping the black sheep. Mala stood and called out. "Hiccup wins!"

Toothless suddenly screamed as he began to loose height. They crashed into a half repaired house. Many of the crowd screamed. Dagur and Shattermaster rushed toward the site. Heather and Algoma stood and rushed off. Mala called to the crowd. "Everyone! Please calm yourselves! Dufniall, elder Gothi please join Dagur in helping Chief Hiccup. Eret please escort the Berkians back to their tents. Everyone else please return to your homes. We will share any news with you as soon as we learn it."

Everyone scattered as Dufniall and Gothi rushed to find Dagur and Hiccup. Eret walked toward the Berkians. Stoick stopped him before he could direct them to the tents. "Eret please take me to my son. I know he hates me but please let me try and reconnect with my son."

Eret paused for a moment before he spoke. "Why should I? You may have a dragon but other than Gobber and the gang none of the Berkians have accepted dragons. You have done nothing to encourage your people to accept Hiccup and dragons."

Before Stoick could speak Astrid came forward. "We know that we haven't done enough but we are trying to do better. Please, we just want to know if Hiccup is alright."