Ch. 4: Stupidity

"Hey (Hey). Everybody (Everybody). All around the world. Every boy and girl. Take a lesson from me. That's - a stupidity. My Mama she says I silly. My Papa says I look like a fool. Baby, I don't mind criticism. They do that every day in school." - Solomon Burke

Peter had planned to head back to your apartment once the evening was over, but Cindy had her weekly check-in with Linda at the Night Clinic and so Peter was tasked with making sure Jessica got back to the Compound safely.

The car ride started out quietly as Peter tried to figure out how to speak to a teenager. He hadn't spent a lot of time around children, and the children he'd spent time around were the genius ones that he'd show tours of Stark Industries and barely asked any questions.

But Jessica was different. Jessica was pure and sweet without much interest in science of anything else technological for that matter. From what Peter had been able to detect so far, she liked stories. She'd loved listening to the stories Peter had overheard Miles telling her at the café for the past few months, and she would sit with wide eyes and a million questions whenever she'd hear anything fascinating.

"Um ..." Peter cleared his throat before gripping the steering wheel a bit tighter and sitting up taller in his seat, "I got you something."

"Me?" Jessica turned to look at him from where she'd been gazing out the window in awe.

"Yeah. I uh, well I noticed you liked -" Peter bit his lip, "Doesn't matter. I figured you might want some subscriptions to some news magazines," he offered, "Learn more about this world and what people are doing out in the world and stuff."

"Really?" Jessica's eyes lit up and she pushed her long, silky black hair from her face, "That sounds fun! What kind of magazines?"

"News ones?" Peter hesitated, "I have a few in mind and we can work through a few others too once we figure out what you like to read. But it seemed like something you'd be interested in."

"That's exciting!" Jessica gasped, "I love that idea!"

"Good," Peter nodded and clenched his jaw, "I had a few sent to the Compound so they'll start showing up. We can then go from there."

"I didn't get you anything," Jessica realized slowly, "I didn't get you anything in return."

"You don't have to," Peter reassured her quickly, "This is a gift. From me to you."

Jessica didn't say anything as they left the city after that, and Peter wasn't entirely sure how to start another conversation. He felt so awkward and disjointed from her, and yet he also felt like there was no one else he connected with more than seeing another teen discover her powers at the same age he had.

"You're different than I thought," Jessica whispered finally, turning to look straight ahead as Peter did his best not to look at her either.

"I'm sorry to disappoint," he whispered back. 

"No!" Jessica sat up quickly and shifted to face him in her seat, "No, sorry. That's not what I - I didn't mean that."

"I look kind of scary," Peter smiled softly, "I can understand your discomfort."

"It's not that," Jessica laughed, "And you're not as scary as you think. I mean, the tattoos are a bit much."

"I'll remember that next time I get a new one," Peter smirked.

"Just that you're so much more than what Cindy described you as," Jessica admitted, "She'd always talk about you and I thought I'd know you when I met you. But you're more than just Spider-Man. I'm surprised by how much you do."