Chapter 9: "You should be more careful"

It's been a week now since I've started University, and I've managed to find all of my classes without the help of Alex or someone wandering in the hallway.

There's a continuous beeping sound that is slowly driving me up the wall. I open my eyes, squinting at the sudden brightness, my eyes slowly adjust to the light shining in from the sun. I scan the room, looking for what is making the horrible beeping noise. I find nothing other than my phone, shit, my alarm, I grab my phone, shutting off the alarm I had set for 6:30 am. It's now 7:00 am, leaving me with half an hour to get ready and make it to my first class. Layla must have left already as I don't find her in our dorm or hear her music playing from her laptop on her study desk.

I grab one of Nathans' hoodies, grabbing my matching laced bra and underwear set for underneath, I wasn't trying to show them off to anyone, Nathan is the only one who gets to see these. I grab my light wash, denim mom jeans, a towel, and my bathroom stuff, walking out of my dorm and into the shower room.

A few showers ran as I walked in, I make my way over to a free shower, placing my clothes somewhere dry and easy to access. The hot water runs down my body, easing my tense muscles, calming my stressed mind, allowing any thoughts of worry to be washed away. I close my eyes, feeling the arms Nathan wraps around my body, pulling me to his chest, his scent intoxicates me, as a smile forms on my face. My smile fades when I remember Nathan isn't here. He isn't holding me while we shower. I'm alone.

I wrap the towel around myself as the water stops running. I sigh, knowing that I took longer than I should've.

I look down at the time as I cradle my books to my chest. I'm late. I barely pay attention to where I'm going as I rush to my class. I can't believe I'm late. I mentally scowl at myself. As I turn the corner, I feel my body collide with another, I stumble backwards, trying to stop myself from falling when a pair of arms wrap around my waist.

"You should be more careful," the person chuckles.

I look up, his beautiful greeny-blue eyes, stare into mine, his arms, holding me up like he's afraid if he lets go, I may fall. His playful grin makes butterflies erupt in my stomach. Why does it make butterflies erupt in my stomach? I catch him looking at my lips, then back up into my eyes, his tongue darting out, wetting his lips. You can hear the heavy breathing leaving both mine and Jonah's mouth, the tension between the two of us, sky-high. Jonah leans down, slowly, threatening to close the gap, for a second I was going to let him, then Nathan's face appears in my mind.

"I-I should go," I stutter.

Jonah breaks eye contact, moving his arms from around my waist, one drops to his side, the other runs through his hair. Jonah looks back at me, not looking into my eyes this time. He clears his throat before speaking once again.

"Yeah, so should I, I'll see you around, I guess."

Without another word, I make my way around him. If I wasn't late before, then I would be now. Quietly, I make my way into the classroom, taking a seat near the back of the room. My teacher stares at me but continues with the lesson.

"Today you will be receiving your first assignment," he speaks with a smile on his face.

Students here and there groan while others place their head on the table. For my first college assignment, I'm excited.

"You will be reading To Kill A Mockingbird," he says, as holds up the book, "You'll then have to write an essay on the book, all the information you need to know, for this essay has been sent to your emails, you will have until the end of the month, the assignment must be completed and placed on my desk by the due date, which you can find in your email."

He takes a second to look around the room, his eyes landing on mine, he nods, asking if I understand, which I return with a nod and a small smile.

"If you have any questions, you may either stay behind or send me an email. Class dismissed."

I sigh in relief, I have an hour before my next class. I grab my stuff, quickly making my way back to my dorm, grabbing my little bag which I forgot to grab this morning. I shoot a quick 'are you busy' text to Alex before leaving to get food.

All I can think about is what happened earlier this morning, with Jonah. How could I allow myself to get into the position? How could I allow him to hold me? To stare into my eyes? Not only that but how could I allow myself to want him to kiss me? I can never tell Nathan about this, I just know how mad he would be.

As I drive off-campus for food, I mumble hateful things to myself, letting out any anger that may have built up. I pull into a Starbucks drive-thru ordering a grande iced latte, a chicken and avocado panini and a tall mocha for Alex. When driving back, Alex calls me.

"Hey, meet me outside on the field, I got coffee."

"You're a legend, see you soon," Alex's voice booms through the speakers.

As I step out of the car, a tall brunette walks over to me, leaning against the car.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

"Your Peyton, right, Jonah's new friend?" He replies.

"Oh yeah, what can I help you with?" I look into his ocean blue eyes.

He smirks at me, wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me to his side, leaning in kissing my cheek. My reflexes kick in, pushing him off me, what the hell was he thinking?

"Daniel, that's enough!" Jonah growls, pushing Daniel away from me.

I stand there frozen still, trying to process what just happened. Now that I think of it, I've seen Daniel before, he was one of the boys standing with Jonah, laughing. After a few minutes, Jonah walks over to me, looking me up and down, checking to make sure Daniel didn't hurt me.

"I'm okay, Jonah," I finally say, and he sighs in relief.

My phone rings, I look up at Jonah before answering the call.

"Peyton, it's Nathan, he's awake, our baby is awake,"

"Omg," I breathe out, relieved, "I'll be there tomorrow afternoon."

"See you then, beautiful," Mrs walkers says quickly, then the call ends.

"Nathan's awake's, my baby, is awake" I smile at Jonah.