Marriage?!

Edwin Afton POV

I greeted Viktoria Schmidt with a forced but natural looking smile and lead her to the sitting room where my wife and... son.. sat waiting. I preferred not to be around people but Lucielle insisted I be here since 'it had been my idea.'

"Vicky!" My wife stood and embraced the Brunette tightly. I tried not to show my annoyance at how chipper they are and took my seat next to Lucielle.

Once everyone was seated I nudged my wife to begin. She went on about how it would be a great business opportunity and they were already such good friends. I focused on my drink tuning out the two women who'd began trailing from the topic at hand, not in the mood to reel them back to focus

Clara Schimdt POV

"Excuse me- apologies for interrupting-" I gave a small smile, lightly bowing my head like Mother had taught me. "What.. would be a good business opportunity?" I stressed the word 'what' hoping one of the three adults understand that they didn't explain that part.

"Oh! Why your marriage dear!" Mother's tone was casual with a hint of excitement.

Hearing her words I felt my heart drop to my feet. I had no issues marrying WIlly, but an arranged marriage? Right out of high school no less? I did my best to keep my composure and glanced over to my best friend. I felt as though my heart shattered when I saw his hand curl into a fist and his jaw clench. 

I wasn't surprised . William never did return my affections to him at all in the past several years, so I'm not sure why his reaction had hurt me so much. Perhaps I'm being selfish, looking forward to the marriage, because Lord knows our parents won't change their minds now. Although.. maybe for his sake I should try?

William Afton POV

'Was I hearing them correctly? A forced marriage? All for business?' I internally scoffed the thought. 'Of course he's here. She probably made him sit in so I wouldn't argue." I glanced at my father feeling my jaw clench even tighter as he casually knocked back the rest of his Scotch.

I shifted my gaze to Clara, who didn't seem fazed by her mother's words at all. 'Am I the only one who sees an issue with this?'

"Why do we have to get married? Can't you just seal the deal another way?" I almost regretted the words as soon as I spoke them. Father nearly dropped his glass and Mother's eyes instantly shot daggers my way, but I didn't back down or hesitate.

"Because we've all agreed this is the best option." Mother's tone was strangely warm. My regret started now, I know that tone. 

"But we're 18, Barely 19!" I couldn't stop myself, the words just poured out. "I have plans! We all want to go to college! I'm not ready to get married!" My eyes shot from Mother's harsh glare to Clara's soft green eyes. "Right?"

She feels the same way, right? We've all bee planning to escape the wishes of our parents for years. If she agrees she'll flush it all down the drain. She won't just hurt me, but Henry and Emilie too.

Clara Schimdt POV

Although my heart broke hearing WIll's words, he was correct, I shouldn't be thinking about me. I have to think about all of us. I felt a shiver travel right up my spine when all three parents turned to look at me.

Their gazes felt like that of a vulture, which would make me the dying rodent in the dessert. To weak to escape but desperate to live. Thoughts began racing through my head faster than I could process them. 

'If I say no I risk my friends hating me. I risk being trapped forever. I'd never be able to go to the college I want, never dance on stage... But.. I'd be with the love of my life. Yes, he could always divorce me but I'd be with him for now. Of course he'd hate me  for trapping him. He'd probably never speak to me again whether we get married or not. If I say yes.. we'd have to leave right away and not in a few weeks like we planned. I'd be able to pursue my dream. I'd be happy with my friends, living the life I've always dreamed of. Even if Will and I never get together, we'd always stay friends.'