II. Traveling to St. Betown

Lady Emily Moore, who was known as Emily by her friends or Emmy by Lady Rebecca Davis, was looking outside the traveling carriage that she was taking to the East route. She was breathing in the country air for a long time as the sea can be heard and it was tasted in the air. Emily could not be happier.

It has been a rough year for her as her parents have been killed in a carriage accident and her brother was nowhere to be found. Emily has given up searching for her brother as she has no money or resources to do so. She can only hope that this new life that she chose will be much better than the life of a Lady in the town. She can hardly remember her time as a debutante when she would attend lavish balls and elegant parties just to catch the eye of a suitor. It was useless as she would disappear in the background whenever she could.

She usually spent some time with her friend, Lady Rebecca Davis who has recently married the Duke of Belikov and now was called Lady Rebecca Dragomir, the 8th Duchess of Belikov. She was high above her best friend's station now. Emily could hardly reach her as Becca would be busy attending this and that balls with her husband. Maybe I was destined to be alone, Emily mused before the traveling couch was stopping at the stop for St. Betown.

"St. Betown, St. Betown!" the driver shouted before Emily was gathering her skirts, the skirts that she took from her maid as she was determined to be someone else out in the country, in which she would forget she was a peer of this realm. Not this time, Emily mused before she was getting off of the carriage as she took her suitcase with her. She was thanking the driver before she was looking at the sprawling city of St. Betown. She was smiling before she was making her way to the tavern that was near her. It was called the Red Griffin.

Emily opened the door as she was carrying her light suitcase before she was taking in the tavern that was in front of her. It was not crowded before she was making her way to the counter before she was being blocked by someone's leg. "Pardon me, sir. Can you please move your leg so that I can pass through?" She was asking the person that was sitting at the table next to her. The person in question was adorning the black coat as well as a black hat. Then, he lifted his head and Emily was sucking on the breath.

His eyes were burning amber.

"What's that, milady? I cannot hear you well," he stated as Emily was trying to control her anger right now. She smiled at the stranger before she was pointing at his foot.

"Will you please remove it so that I can pass through?" Emily said in her sweet voice before the man's beard was moving. She thought the man was trying to smile but it was hard to tell.

"And what will I get for moving my foot, milady?"

"A cozy feeling in your heart for doing something well?" Emily replied as the amber-eyed man was amused with her statement. Then, he moved the leg before she was nodding at the man. "Thank you, kind sir,"

"Say, what's your name, maiden?" The stranger asked her as she was trying to think of anything but the creepy feeling that she had whenever a man was asking for her name. Give a fake name, any name!

"Emily, sir," she replied before Emily was smacking herself in her mind as she did something that she was trying to avoid, giving this stranger her real name.

"Emily, such a beautiful name," the man stated before Emily was nodding at him.

"Well, pardon me then. I am in a bit of a hurry, sir," she said as she was moving to the counter before the barmaid was looking at her. Emily smiled.

"What are you having, dear?"

"Oh, I am so sorry to disturb you. I've just arrived in town and I was wondering if you could show me the way to the Kain Estate, ma'am," Emily stated as the barmaid was looking at her up and down.