6: As the sun goes down

I cannot stress how much I'm excited right now. Normally, Sana and Mina would complain that I'm perpetually late. But now, I'm an hour early. Even I can't believe it.

Maybe Dahyun is, after all, an old soul. She's the one who chose this rustic, wood-laden café that hardly has any electrical lighting fixture. Even the music is played from a gramophone.

This bit, however, excites me: she mentioned that we wouldn't be exchanging numbers until we actually meet. That way, we'll be anticipating all the way up to the actual meeting. I dunno, it's cute. I didn't think of her to be like this.

As I keep checking my bangs, I can't help but wonder: is she actually sporting that outlandish hair color? What does she smell like? How soft is her skin? These are details that dreams couldn't accurately give you.

2:45 p.m. - Okay, okay. Fifteen minutes left. Relax, Momo. This isn't a date. Is this a date? We just agreed to meet up. It's a good thing I just selected a monochromatic blouse to go with slim-cut khakis. That way, I don't look like I'm trying to impress her. I wonder what Dahyun's actual fashion sense is, though.

3:15 p.m. - Fifteen minutes late. Okay, that's still acceptable. Could be a traffic thing. Man, I wish we exchanged numbers.

4:00 p.m. - This is kinda rude. As much as I don't want to spend unnecessarily, I have to buy another cup. Let's make it hot choco this time.

5:30 p.m. - The sun's starting to set. And I've finished an episode of Reply 1988. Still no Dahyun in sight. Fuck that girl! Wait, what if she got into an accident? Or a mugging? Gah!

6:00 p.m. - A text! From...Sana. "Ms. Park told me that you have a lot of applicants to process on Monday, so you better show up," it reads. Delete.

"Would you like something for dinner?" The cute waitress smiles at me, pen and paper on hand. I glare at her, hoping that she'd know how irate I am right now.

"No thanks," I simply say.

7:30 p.m. - People start piling in one by one. Why are they couples?! Is this the world trying to spite me?

Amidst all the irritated rambling in my head, a thought pops up: what if Dahyun isn't actually real? What if everything-even the whole three-level bullshit-is just another part of my dream? Maybe I'm just being stressed that I am actually losing control again.

***

"Zombie dream, huh? Must've been a hell of a day, Momo-chan," Boo says, watching me decapitate two zombies in one swing. "Pretty zombies, if you ask me," he adds.

Of course they're pretty. I want them to be pretty, like some flaker I know. I just dare that bitch to show up here.

"Is that really necessary?" A familar voice shouts from above the alley. Speak of the devil. Of course it has to be her again.

Instead of answering, I slice another one in the middle of the head. I look up at her, making sure she sees it.

"Oho, are you angry at me? Is my crush angry at me?" Dahyun teases.

Hearing the word "crush" sends me hurling the katana at her. Oh. Oh no. Was that the sound of blade entering the flesh?!

Dahyun looks at the sword in her stomach, then at me. She coughs blood before falling from the top. Shit!

"Dahyun-ah!" I rush over to her convulsing body. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to!"

She tries to speak, but only sputters more blood, like dark petals spread across snow. Holy shit! "You're gonna be okay," I exclaim repeatedly as she grabs onto my thigh.

I'm in control here, this is my dream. I place both hands on top of her wound and concentrate, emitting light. There, no one has to die here. You're gonna be alright, Dahyun. "Stay with me, okay?! I'll save you," I shout, tears streaming down my cheeks. Wait-why isn't the wound closing?!

Dahyun looks at me, fear and tears painting her face. I try with all my might, my palms growing brighter by the second.

And, just like that, her eyes roll up and her hand drops to the pavement.