Good enough for you [Anthony x Reader]

Title: Good enough for you

Pairing: Anthony Bridgerton x Female!Reader

Word count: 1.8k

Published: 11 October 2021

Author: Heloise Daphne Brightmore

Notes: If you enjoy my stories, please consider donating and supporting me on Ko-fi. Of course, it's completely your choice, I will continue updating for free anyway :) Thank you <3 [ ko-fi.com/heloisedaphnebrightmore ]

The sweet melody ushered gentlemen to look for a suitable dance partner, their gazes roaming across the room to find those who shined the brightest. The ballroom was lit by dim, warm lights, diamonds sparkling vividly on each young ladies' tiaras, catching the young men's eyes. But for you, it seemed no one was good enough. Or rather the oldest Bridgerton brother thought so, which to your surprise didn't bother your papa and mama. Not in the slightest.

"Anthony, should you keep glaring at those fine gentlemen, I shall never find a suitable husband." Your scolding words left you in a silent chuckle, knowing you could never truly be upset with him. Not with him. Not with all those feelings you've been secretly harbouring for the eldest Bridgerton brother. As though he was oblivious, he never realised your eyes shamelessly staring at him, nor did he acknowledge the not-so-subtle teasing Benedict enjoyed riling him up with.

"They aren't good enough for you," his tone was barely beyond an irate grunt, his moodiness earning a light giggle from you.

"Who shall be good enough for me then?" You asked with an arched brow, a playful smirk attempting to reveal itself in the corner of your lips.

"Certainly not this bunch," he huffed, his gaze studying the room as he stood beside you with the air of a royal guard surrounding him, protecting your innocence at all costs.

"May I?" A deep baritone voice called for you, the familiarity immediately catching your attention.

"Benedict," you squealed in excitement. Benedict was a brother that you wished to have but weren't so lucky to get. Instead, you settled for a best friend in him. "Please," your voice was a plea that Anthony didn't miss noticing. "Your brother bores me with his brooding," you chuckled as you looked at Benedict's older brother, wearing a sceptical look across his face.

"I'm merely trying to protect you," he added.

"Should you keep protecting me any longer, I'll end up as a splinter, Anthony," you huffed, rolling your eyes, all mannerism thrown out the window.

"Then you shall be a splinter," he shrugged in a child-like manner, earning a loud scoff from you. No amount of reasoning could change Anthony's mind at times.

"You can't possibly believe that," you raised your voice slightly, bewildered by his nonchalance.

"As I have already told you before, they aren't good enough for you," he replied, eyes still studying the people dancing around the centre of the room.

"I appreciate your concern, Anthony," you started, your voice wearing a more solemn tone, "but I shall never find a gentleman should you protect me from the wind itself," you arched a brow, daring him to oppose. But instead of a reply, Benedict's wholehearted laughter rang in your ear, earning your complete attention.

"Might I suggest you reconsider my dear brother's intentions?" Benedict asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes. Brows narrowing, you watched him, and Anthony participate in a staring contest, clearly none of them winning the gentlemanly battle.

"Should I understand?" You asked, interrupting their silent argument, possibly one that only siblings could encode.

"He means nothing," Anthony added, his stern gaze still attached to his brother's. However, Benedict didn't seem fazed, rather looked as though he enjoyed Anthony's glare.