Chapter Twenty: Return to Rivendell

"I never had a father as such. But if I did? I would hope he would be just like you." - Gandalf

Breakfast was almost over when the couple arrived at Elrond's Dining Hall. Frodo and Sam were the only ones still eating breakfast. Both giggled as they greeted Thranduil and Alethris. "Gandalf said you would be late," said Frodo.

"Bilbo has returned to his room after finishing his breakfast. He will be so surprised to see you both," said Sam.

"I believe it is your birthday too Frodo, many happy returns on your special day," said Thranduil.

Frodo thanked him and apologised for not being able to give anyone gifts. "But the hall of fire will be filled with music and singing after the feast tonight."

"Ah, the Hall of Fire. I have heard much about it from my good queen." He kissed Alethris's hand while smirking.

As they enjoyed breakfast, Elrond walked into the Dining Hall and bid them all good morning. He kissed Alethris on the forehead. "I trust you slept well in the Villa last night."

"We did Ada, it is very comfortable indeed," replied Alethris.

After breakfast, Elrond led Thranduil and Alethris to Bilbo's room. "I must warn you, he is much changed from how you remember him. The power of the ring, like Gollum, kept Bilbo alive far beyond his natural life span. Now that it is destroyed, he has begun to fade. He gets tired and forgetful, so try not to overwhelm him." He knocked upon the door, and after waiting a few moments, they heard what sounded like a response. Elrond asked them to wait outside a moment before he entered the room. "Bilbo, I have a couple of well wishers to see you," they heard him say.

"Not my nephew and his friends again, I hope. I told them I would see them after my nap," a sprightly voice replied.

Alethris sniggered. "It sounds like the Bilbo I remember."

"He sounds a little older than I remember him," whispered Thranduil.

"They have come a very long way to see you, Bilbo," said Elrond.

"Not the King and Queen? I did not expect to see them again," replied Bilbo.

"Not Elessar and Arwen no, but another king and queen have come to visit you," said Elrond.

"The only other King I am acquainted with is the Elven King of Mirkwood, but he lost his wife. Why, is he here? It has been a long time since we have spoken," replied Bilbo.

"Yes, he has come, and has some exciting news for you," said Elrond.

"Oh, how wonderful, that he should come today of all days. Please ask him in and bring us some tea and toast, for I will need much sustenance, and I am eager to hear all he may tell me," replied Bilbo.

Elrond returned to them and suggested they went in one at a time, so Thranduil entered the room first, while Alethris waited at the entrance. She could see Bilbo was much frailer than he had been when she left all those years ago and it grieved her to see him that way. Bilbo's eyes lit up as he greeted his guest. "King Thranduil, how good it is to see you again and on my birthday, too. What a lovely surprise."

Thranduil embraced Bilbo, sat in the chair beside him, and took his hand. "Bilbo the Magnificent! How are you, my old friend?"

"Less of the old now. I am only one hundred and twenty-nine today, not as old as the Old Took. He lived to one hundred and thirty I'll have you know. And if I am lucky, I hope to outlive him. Of course, you don't look a day over....... how old are you now?"

Thranduil chuckled. "That's not important." 

"Master Elrond said you had news for me. Is it about your son Legolas? He is a fine fellow. Told me you had taken Master Elrond's adopted daughter as your ward and a strange story about her flying on a Great Eagle. I can't remember much about that part, sadly. But he did say she continued to get herself into trouble. Much like here, I'm afraid. Poor orphaned child but very clever and older than her years," said Bilbo.