1.2.13 Chapter 13

The Mages College of Verdyn, Verdyn, August 2019.

Vi had been too excited to discover that indeed, a type of flying was a thing in Verdyn, that she insisted Rho show her straight away. To her delight, he had agreed, declaring that he had had enough of a shock for one day and that it was about time Vi learnt how to drift. He swiftly reversed the Earth charm he had cast upon the floor, re-set the desks and the led Vi down the many, sets of well-worn oak staircases and corridors, out into the College grounds on a shortcut past the greenhouses, an area that Violet had not yet visited.

Vi could not help but sneak glances at him as they walked, looking up at the curls of his hair and light curves of his chest. He walked closer to her, closer than was necessary, across the wide cobbled pathways which sloped gently along to the designated area where all Verdyn's food was grown. Rho explained the system as they walked, pointing out how the College was self-sufficient and grew food for the city, and how the Botanists followed a strict 24-hour work schedule. Vi noticed him also not-so-subtly glancing at her as he spoke. They headed through a leafy archway, which opened out into rows of greenhouses and plant beds. She caught his eye, smiled, and reached for his hand, heart hammering as he smiled back, fingers wrapping around hers.

On the other side of the archway, Vi looked around her, once again in amazement of what the magic of Verdyn had allowed the Mages to achieve. There, along one whole side of the College building were row upon rows of long greenhouses, each about 7 feet high. Inside each greenhouse were long immaculate soil beds, filled with row upon row of growing plants. Some greenhouses were in the initial stages of growth, full of soil and a few plant shoots. Others teemed with vivid greenery, full of fully grown plants.

Rho led her along a pathway between two of the greenhouses, along which a sloping irrigation channel of water also flowed, their joined hands swinging. Vi walked slowly taking in the sheer number of plants and he slowed his pace to stay steadily by her side. She could see the odd glimpse of black among the green, Mages, Botanists with their light green belts weaving their way through the plants, and some hydro mages with their dark blue belts, directing flows of water along irrigation channels and creating artificial rain, sprinkling gently over the growing beds.

Violet's father was an avid gardener, and she could not help but think of how he would react to this place. His garden, full of lovingly tended to rows of carrot and beans, paled in comparison to this grower's paradise. Vi peered in through the glass, trying to recognise the plants; there were some leafy carrots, ready for picking, vines of large ripe red tomatoes, vines of small green unripe tomatoes, cabbages, some sort of squash. In the next greenhouse, Vi spotted what she thought was a crop of tall oat plants, their small green florets pointing toward the ground. Wow, that must be where all the porridge comes from, the thought in amazement. In the next greenhouse was an entire partially grown wheat field, where many Mages were busy walking through the plants, inspecting them, Vi presumed. Then there was a space, a break in the greenhouses that could only be described as a magnificent vineyard, combined with an orchard. Vi marvelled at the grapevines stretching into the distance, and the neat, pruned fruit trees. There were rows of apple trees, all different varieties. Pears, plums, apricots, mangoes, coconuts, cherry's, lemons and limes, many of what Vi thought were almond trees, but she wasn't sure. Any many more rows of fruit trees that she did not recognise.

An orange tree, near the path, was ready for picking, full of giant football-sized oranges. Rho reached up and took one, peeling and eating as they walked. He offered Vi a segment, which was sharp and sweet and fresh, and miles better than any oranges she had ever eaten on Earth. She was sure that there was probably some College rule that they were flagrantly breaking about students not being allowed to pick the fruit for themselves, but Rho was not bothered. She reached out and plucked an apple from the nearest ripe apple tree.