3 - Join my Team

The day slowly went by. Abbacchio spent the day trying to apply to different jobs. It was around 7:30ish in the evening before Abbacchio started to go back home, he decided to quit for the day and head back home to his apartment. The black umbrella still in his hand as he carried it home.

     The sun was starting to go down, the giant groups of people who usually crowded the street during the day quickly made their way back to their own homes.   Abbacchio slowly made his way back to his apartment, he stood right outside the steps of his apartment. The streets were empty. Everything was quiet until he heard footsteps making their way towards him. Abbacchio quickly turned around and saw Bruno Bucciarati. Abbacchio's eyes widen as he saw the man run up to him. Bruno finally caught up to him, out of breath.

     "Abbacchio!" Bucciarati gasped, "I'm glad I found you!" he breathed, trying to catch his breath. Abbacchio handed him back his umbrella and invited him to come inside. The two of them walked inside and Abbacchio poured both of them a drink while Bruno sat his umbrella next to the door. They sat on the living room couch together.

     "Thank you for inviting me inside, " Bucciarati said as he took a sip from his warm drink.

"Yeah, of course," Abbacchio answered. The two of them sat in silence, both of them taking sips from their drinks.

"So, Abbacchio, there's something I would like to inquire you about.." Bucciarati started. Abbacchio paused for a moment. What could he possibly need for me?

"What do you need?" Abbacchio asked in response. Bucciarati sat his cup on the coffee table that was sitting in front of him. Bucciarati looked Abbacchio in the eyes. His eyes. Those eyes radiate kindness. Abbacchio's body stiffened.

"I'm putting together a team. A team of people who I know have unrealized talent, " Bruno continued, "I wanted to know if you'd like to join Passione?" Bucciarati asked confidently with a small smile. What the hell was Passione. Abbacchio sat there silently, confused and conflicted.

     "Allow me to explain, " Bruno continued where he left off, "Passione is an Italian gang–" Abbacchio cut him off right there. No way was Abbacchio going to be joining something as dangerous as that. He was desperate for something to do, but not that desperate. Abbacchio would rather spend his time drinking away his problems like he usually does than this.

     "No." He retorted. Abbacchio wasn't interested in joining any group, let alone a gang. Bruno was shocked at his quick response, a puzzled expression plastered on his face. Abbacchio's response was probably not the reaction Bucciarati was hoping for.

     "Do you need me to say it again? No." Abbacchio continued this time a bit more firmly. Bruno's small smile returned on his face and nodded his head in response.

     "Alright, I understand. But, I'd still like to keep in contact with you, Leone Abbacchio." Bruno grinned. Abbacchio furrowed his brows and looked at him. Did he have ulterior motives?  Abbacchio didn't know if he should be worried that Bucciarati might be dangerous or excited that someone might want to actually be around him.

     "Fine..." Abbacchio replied, still unsure. The rest of the time they were together they talked about everything else but Passione. Abbacchio had a great time, just like the time they spent at the restaurant. Abbacchio let the uncertain feelings he had about Bucciarati at that moment and let himself have a good time. Eventually, their time together came to an end at around 11:00. Bruno got up from his seat and Abbacchio walked him out.

     "I had a nice time, thank you for allowing me into your home." Bucciarati gleamed brightly, a big smile on his face. Abbacchio wanted him to stay longer. He enjoyed his presence. In Abbacchio's eyes, Bruno somehow made any room he walked into a bit brighter. Abbacchio picked up the umbrella that sat next to the door and held it towards Bruno.

     "Of course, I had a nice time as well," Abbacchio hummed, "don't forget your umbrella." Abbacchio chuckled. He then made sure Bucciarati had his umbrella. They exchanged their last goodbyes and they both lingered for an instant, then he was gone. Abbacchio closed the food gently, standing at the door a bit longer than he should of, hoping he would come back inside and stay awhile. The man sighed and started to clean up a bit.

     Abbacchio then started to get ready for bed, he brushed out his long light purple hair, took off his makeup, put on some clothes to sleep in, then set his alarm clock and he was ready for bed. Abbacchio stared at the ceiling for a bit, not tired. Still thinking about Bruno and his unusual offer. Passione. What would I, an ex-police officer, be doing in a gang? Abbacchio slowly started to drift off to sleep. Bucciarati and the offer still lingering in his dreams.