The Visiting Hour

The Visiting Hour

    Takane slowly approached Hibiki’s bedside and sat next to her on a chair. The tan girl was breathing shakily and her monitor was “beeping” slowly. She looked over at Takane and smiled.

    “H-hey, Takane,” she greeted quietly.

    “Hibiki, you were absolutely incredible,” Takane breathed. She reached over and clutched Hibiki’s hand gently. Hibiki squeezed back for a second and then let her hand relax.

    “Ya think so?” she asked, her voice breaking. She coughed.

    Takane nodded and paused to examine her. Her chest, shoulder, and head had been bandaged up, and the blood cleaned from her body. The crimson liquid spilled out of her mouth and Takane reached over to wipe it off. Hibiki offered her a grateful smile, but said nothing. The monitor was hooked up to her heart, and she wore a mask over her mouth to aid with her breathing. Takane frowned.

    “Somethin’ wrong?”

    Takane snapped to attention. Hibiki was looking at her worriedly, taking in gulps of air through her mouth. The silver-haired idol shook her head and smiled.

    “Nothing is the matter. I was just noticing that you look a little different,” she insisted.

    Hibiki chuckled, then started coughing.

    “Hibiki!” Takane gasped. Hibiki sat up and pulled the mask off to cough some more, droplets of blood flying from her mouth. Takane stood and held her up until she stopped. Hibiki pulled the mask back on her face with Takane’s help, and then the older girl lay her back down. She placed a hand on her heart and sat.

    “I’m OK,” Hibiki assured her. “Jus’ a li’l coughin’ fit. I’m fine.”

    Takane frowned. “Are you sure?”

    “Yup.”

    She allowed herself to smile at Hibiki, who smiled back.

    “Anyone else comin’?” she questioned Takane.

    “Makoto came,” Takane replied. “But she had to go to the bathroom. She’ll be here shortly.”

    Hibiki grinned. “That all?”

    Takane nodded sadly.

    “Good. Now I can spend my last hours with two o’ the people I love the most. Too bad I couldn’t get Hamuzou and Inumi here too…heck, all the li’l critters!” Hibiki closed her eyes and chuckled. Luckily, this time she didn’t cough. Takane let out a breath of relief.

    “I am sorry. I should have gone to retrieve them,” she said apologetically.

    Hibiki shook her head. “Don’t worry ‘bout it, it’s no problemo. I knew they wouldn’t be able to come anyhow…”

    The door to Hibiki’s room flew open and Makoto ran inside, going instantly to Hibiki’s other side to grasp her other hand. “Hibiki! Are you alright?! Did they say you were going to be OK?!”

    Hibiki looked at her sadly and then turned to Takane. She looked at the monitor.

    Makoto followed her gaze. “That doesn’t mean a thing, Hibiki. I know you’re strong. You’ll be fine. Right?”

    Hibiki sighed. “I dunno,” she admitted. “The doctors haven’t said anythin’ ‘bout it.”

    “You’ll be fine,” Makoto promised. “If you were able to stand out there, you can stand in here. You were awesome. I was really impressed and a little surprised.”