Chapter 50

One thing I've learnt in life is that happiness doesn't last forever. Another week went by and I had felt like my life was finally starting, but I should have known that it was only the calm before the storm.

Me and Finn had gone for a run in our wolf forms when the wolves descended. It was a quiet day, peaceful and sunny too. The sky was clear and everyone seemed happy and the extra wolves patrolling our borders had been disbanded and put back on their regular rota. We thought everything would be normal now. No more pain. No more heartache.

At some point in our run, we had changed back into our human forms and put on some joggers each that we had wrapped around our legs beforehand. I loved being in our wolf forms together but I found that I could be closer to my mate physically when in our human forms, so we had taken to stopping half way through our run and shifting back and sitting with each other for a while before we headed back as our wolves. On this such day, I was walking along the bank of the stream I had followed so long ago when I had gotten lost in these very woods. Finn was beside me holding my hand as we talked and laughed about silly things that didn't even matter.

Then we heard the paws hitting the hard earth. Maybe if there was only a few of them we wouldn't have heard them at all, but there were dozens and dozens, and they were all headed our way. Finn shifted into his wolf form in a rapid shift so he could be stronger than just as his human, but when I went to shift a wolf had already tackled me to the floor. I heard Finn growl as he tried to pry my attacker off me with his teeth but then another, much bigger wolf was barrelling into my mate. This new wolf was so much bigger and so much stronger, and he had forced Finn to hit his head against a tree so hard that I could see he had instantly blacked out. My Finn was strong, as strong as any commander, but not strong enough for an Alpha, especially not an Alpha such as this. Only another Alpha could ever beat Zagen Diolo.

My own attacker had gotten distracted by the Zagen's appearance and I took that opportunity to finish my shift but before I could run to my mate, or even back to the pack to get help, Zagen had set his sights on me.

"Pack Cero is here, HELP!" I shouted into the new pack mind link I had acquired on my birthday. I shouted into an open channel so that anyone at all who was listening in would hear my plea. I didn't have time to focus my cry for help towards anyone specific as Zagen was already advancing and I had to focus all my energy on getting out of here as quickly as possible. I tried to run but when I turned around to look for an escape, I was very much surrounded. It reminded me eerily of my first encounter with the Navarre pack and Rowan's own capture here as well.

Zagen walked up to me in a menacing manner and suddenly he was dragging me away with his teeth clamped into one of my legs. His canines pierced my skin and I howled in agony at the pain, especially as it was inflicted by an Alpha. The pain became too much for my wolf, so I ended up shifting back into my human form without being able to control it. My left leg was bloody and gruesome as I looked down and the sight of it made me almost pass out, but I tried to stay awake so I could see my surroundings to guide Finn towards me once he woke up.

Zagen was still dragging me away with his teeth in my leg though, and I tried my best not to scream in pain but sometimes it was just so unbearable that I could do nothing else. When we reached the outside of the border, Zagen finally unclamped his mouth from my now wounded leg and shifted into his human form. His dark hair was messy, and he had grown a light beard since I had last seen him. His me acing dark eyes looked at me with hatred and he scowled as he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder before walking away with me to wherever he had planned to take me.

I wonder where the patrol wolves and guards were but as I looked at the retreating Pack Navarre behind me, I could members of Pack Cero and Navarre fighting each other fiercely, and this was only at the border of the territory so I could only imagine how things were at the heart of the pack lands.