MESSAGE.

"What the hell? Why would they message YOU? Shouldn't they play these games with the police?" Zuri wraps her arm around my shoulders. "I don't know. But they HAVE to be the killer, Zuri. I don't trust the police enough for this." I reply.

She stared at me in silence, supposedly trying to comprehend what I meant by 'I can't trust the police'. Even I was unravelling my own thoughts. Maybe the police could do this, I mean, this IS their job, right? But- I know how they're like.

I had this strong desire burning up inside me. The police would probably close the case in a week. "Wait-- Kris, are you telling me that you wanna handle this situation on your own?" Zuri finally spoke up, speaking quietly.

I looked at the floor, trying to avoid eye contact. I didn't want to let Zuri see how nervous I was about my own idea. I ran a hand through my hair, thinking. Did I really want to do this?

Yes, I did.

Was I willing to?

..Yes. I think.

I clenched my fist. I had never been so uncertain about something. What if we got ourselves into danger? What if we failed to find any clues? What if we--

"Kris? You done? We have to get back home, and, uh, it's a pretty long drive from here." My mom intervenes.

I have never been more thankful for my mom. I usually hate it when she interrupts me while I'm thinking. But this time, I couldn't be happier.

"Alright mom." I say a little bit too enthusiastically and look back at Zuri. The air was thick and everything was so awkward. Mom sensed it and placed a hand on my shoulder, to comfort me, I suppose. She can tell when I'm worried. "Bye." I quietly mumble.

I opened the front door and stumble. I need to get ahold of myself.

I sit down on the leather seat, turning on the AC immediately. It's hot as hell. It's September, but it's hot as hell.

We're only halfway home when I receive a text alert on my phone. My whole body buzzed with thrill, a mix of fear and excitement as I glanced at my phone. The killer must've texted another cl-

Zuri: Hey.

Of course it was Zuri. I left her hanging.

Kris: Hi.

Zuri: You left in a hurry. You k??

Kris: Yeah, just a little uncomfy. Sorry.

Zuri: Ohk. Sorry to hear that.

Zuri: Do u wanna meet up and work on the case?

Zuri: I think ur right. Don't trust the police, yk?

I grinned. She knew what I was talking about.

Kris: Sure. Let's meet at your place.

Kris: Do you mind letting Harper know? I want xem to be a part of this.

Zuri: I'm a lil scared of xem but I'll try. Cya babes.

I guess it's time for me to get my shit together and catch whoever killed Noah.

__________

"Hey, Zuri." I mumbled, grabbing her attention. She smiled. "Hi. Harper's inside. Come in!"

We walked in, finding Harper seated on the bed. Now I'm wondering if this was a bad idea. What if she just brushes this topic off and tells us to let the police do their job? She must think we're crazy, but since she's here  anyway, I think she'll help.

This was gonna be hard for us.

Who could have wanted to kill Noah?

"I can't think of anything. Do you guys have any ideas?" I sighed, after 5 minutes of silence, which felt like forever.

"I'm not sure either. I wasn't close to Noah- He practically hated me." Zuri pursed her lips.

"Audrey. It has to be Audrey Dawson." Harper muttered, clenching xyr jaw. "Noah got the role in the school play she wanted, and threatened him. It has to be her. She'd do anything for fame."

We discuss a few possibilities over the next hour, although we get.. absolutely nowhere. Maybe we should just leave this to the police.

"Kris? You okay?" Zuri checked up on me. Anyone would be concerned if they looked at me right now. I look like a fucking mess. The dark circles under by eyes and messy hair doesn't make anything better. "Yeah. I'm okay." I lie. "I think.. I think we should take some help. Do you guys know someone we can trust with this?" Harper intervened.

Xe were right. We needed someone's help.

I looked around the room, as if the objects placed almost perfectly were going to reveal names of people who could help us.

My eyes fall upon a tea cup.

Coffee.

"Jae!" I thought out loud, startling Harper and Zuri. "I have a friend I met at the British-Asian Association. He could help us!" I picked up my bookbag and headed out, expecting them to follow.

I grinned. For the first time in 4 days, I felt like I was finally getting somewhere.