𝐈𝐈𝐈.

𝐎𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐈𝐈𝐈.

Raisa hugs her cloak tightly around herself as she follows Kaz to Dreesen's house. She walks between Inej and Jesper. A part of her knows that she's as good as a prisoner to them. But if she's getting two hundred and seventy thousand kruge, she's willing to follow Kaz Brekker through the Fold. She can only hope that whatever Dreesen wants is nowhere near Os Alta.

The shadows weigh heavy on her and it's as if she can feel Kirigan beside her. He's far away, across the Fold, in the Little Palace with his underlings.

But sometimes she wonders if he ever came looking for her.

"Who are you lot?" a man asks, tromping down the walkway toward the gate.

"We're here to see Dreesen," Kaz replies.

"You're not with Pekka's crew."

"And you're not in Pekka's pocket anymore, if you don't owe him," Kaz answers simply.  He draws forth a purse of coins from the pocket of his waistcoat. 

Bribery is the easiest way to get around the Barrel.

"Hey, where did you get that coin?" Jesper asks as they continue toward the house.

Raisa nearly jumps as the man states, "Hey! One of these has a hole in it!"

Jesper is grinning. "Saints," he says.

They're saved by the door opening, Kaz shoving Jesper ahead. "Inside," he states. "Inside."

Raisa can't help but chuckle at the angered expression on the man's face as they pile into the doorway, following two men to Dreesen's study.

At his desk, Dreesen raises an eyebrow, leaning on his elbow. "One look and I can tell. Criminals. I'm not meeting anyone 'til midnight."

"We heard you needed a Heartrender," Kaz replies calmly. "And I've found one trained at the Little Palace."

Raisa takes a small step forward, bowing her head respectfully.

That makes Dreesen rise, looking at her with a critical eye. "Hm," he says. "All right, she stays, the rest of you, out."

Raisa makes no moves. Kaz gives her a nod. "She stays," Kaz states. "And we have an exclusive on this job."

Dreesen considers that a moment, coming around to sit at the edge of his desk, eyes locked with Kaz's. "Mr. Brekker," he says. "No businessman worth his salt hires his first applicant."