THE MOTIONLESS MONSTER

That morning, at 10 O'clock, the artilleryman woke up from his deep sleep. He stretched, yawned and walked toward his curtains, still in his waistcoat. He opened the curtains, and green light was streaming in from his window! Shielding his eyes from the light, he squinted through the window, tired and confused. What he saw made him freeze with horror...

A huge martian machine was sitting motionless on the green, the eyepiece open like petals on a flower. Its legs were folded up so the hood was metres from the floor. 

Without any form of warning, something stirred in the darkness of the hood.

2 grey, spike-ended legs reached over the edge of the petals of the eyepiece, followed by an ominous head. 

Its black eyes were sunk into its head, and the only mouth he could identify was a mass of tentacles writhing out of a deep hole. As it crawled out, the artilleryman was aware that a third leg was attached to the back of the head. Then out came another, and another! Now 3 martians were on the edge of the hood.

As they crawled down the outer wall of the hood, the Artilleryman became weary of a bedraggled man in the bushes, who looked like he was going to make a run for it. The martians were now on the grass of the common, so it would be incomprehensible how dangerous it is.

All of a sudden, he dashed straight past the martian crew, but stumbled over. the martians leaned over him ominously...