Chapter 30: Nobody asks if I want to be Queen, either.

"You will stay here for the night, if that suits you." Bjorn said.

"Holy crap." I whispered. The bedchambers were massive, with a huge four-poster canopy bed situated against the far wall.

"This was one of the old royal chambers. I hope it is to your liking." Bjorn explained, slightly nervously as if the slightest misstep would make me run away. I had nowhere to run to, even if I wanted to.

"Are you kidding? This is amazing!" I glanced up at the massive crystal chandelier that hung from the ceiling, tinkling slightly in a small draft. "Are you sure that I should be in here, though? If it really is the royal chambers, I don't know if I'm worthy of staying in them."

"Nonsense. You are the most powerful and just creature to grace our realm with your presence. You deserve the best, if not better."

My face turned a shade of pink. I was not, by any means, used to being called anything like that or treated this way. "Um, thanks? I have one question, though. Where is Calder? I wish for him to be close."

"He is staying in the chamber down the hall." Bjorn's brow furrowed for a moment. "He will be close enough. Máni is also staying nearby, should you need anything." A voice called his name from down the massive hallway. "I must go and converse with my lieutenants. Will you be fine for the night?"

"Yes, thank you." I confirmed.

"I will send someone to collect you in the morning. Get your rest tonight. Tomorrow we begin to discuss the future of my people."

"Of course." I closed the door and turned to the massive room. I sank to the floor, back against the door, exhausted. The many, many miles of un-fueled running had caught up to me and I felt almost too tired to make it to the bed. When I finally sank into the soft mattress and pulled the covers up to my chin, I fell asleep at once.

.

Knock. Knock. Knock. My eyes opened immediately, and I sat up in bed.

"One moment!" I said, rolling out of the bed and standing in front of the mirror for a few seconds while I got my hair under control.

"My father wishes to present you to the people." Máni said when I opened the door. She glanced at my jacket, gloves, and boots, and shook her head ever so slightly. "You might want to consider a slight change of attire." She waved her hand and my clothes responded. My vision was obscured for a moment by fluffy grey stuff, then it cleared.

I turned around slightly, and the fabric that clung to my body and pooled around the floor moved with me. Whoa. I raised my arms slightly, inspecting the pale blue cloth that clung to them along with the pale white satin gloves that kept my fingers warm. The dress I was wearing was white, blue, and grey, much like everything else in this realm.

The fabric itself was unique- it sparkled and shimmered as if the dress itself was made of fine ice crystals, though it gave off no cold. The top was a pale blue, almost white color that was hung off my shoulders with a neckline that dipped to just above my chest. The bodice was laced with silvery-white gems that reflected any and all light and made me sparkle every time I moved.

The skirt flared out below the waist in a graceful slope, the pale blue under-layer covered partially by grey links of a lightweight graceful chain. My hair, when I glanced in the mirror, was decorated with tiny gems, and my feet were encased in a tiny pair of silver heels that added a helpful three inches to my height.

"I look like a princess." I whispered.

"Well, not exactly." Máni said, surveying me with a careful eye. "I don't really like dresses all that much, but even I can tell. You look like our queen."