chapter 5

┄┄┄┄┄┄☆┄┄┄┄┄┄☆┄┄┄┄┄┄☆┄┄┄┄┄┄

The sun is dipping below the horizon, setting the sky ablaze in warm orange color. The warm wind blows around you, surrounding you with the scent of the grass you're laying on below you. Children's laughter and faraway car honks float in the air around you, and you close your eyes, enjoying the peaceful sensation. You're waiting for Yuji to show up for your scheduled practice session. Glancing at your phone, you note that it's 6:21 PM. He is 21 minutes late. Maybe you should warm up while you were waiting? He's never really been this late before, so something must've occurred.

As the day enters the early hours of dusk, the sky slowly begins to darken. You watch as the birds above fly freely in the sky. You open your eyes, suddenly feeling off.

Something's wrong. Something tells you. No, it wasn't just the fact that Yuji was now 29 minutes late. Towards downtown Tokyo, you sense a mass disturbance in cursed energy. Something's very, very wrong.

You sit up straight, turning on your phone. There was no news from Yuji, so you shoot him a text instead.

Today, 5:58 PM

I'm here!

Hello? You gonna come?

Somethings wrong. If you see this, I'm heading

towards that disturbance

The message was undelivered. Quickly getting up, you leave the park and immediately hail a taxi.

"Downtown Tokyo," you tell the driver. "Make it fast, please. I'll pay extra."

The driver steps on the gas and tells you that it's rush hour and there's not much faster he can go. You have no choice but to wait as he makes his way into the downtown area.

There's something wrong! Your senses urge you, as a growing sense of doom makes your stomach flip.

"You can stop here. Thanks." You tell the driver. He pulls aside, and you give him two 1,000 yen notes before hastily rushing away. You run towards the disturbance, following your senses. The pedestrians around you are blissfully unaware of the situation, and they all stare at you as you run in the streets. Just as you turn the corner, you're met with a black barrier about three meters away from you.

Who cast this? Are they trying to keep civilians out?

Carefully approaching the barrier, you stick your hand towards the black mirage. Your hand meets with the surface, and an ice-cold sensation spreads from your fingertips through to your body. It was like sticking your hand through a sheet of icy cold water. The barrier had accepted you.

You quickly pass through the barrier, shivering as if you had just been dunked in cold water. Around you, there seemed to be no difference. The area was devoid of people, and you wonder where they had gone. Fifty meters ahead of you was another murky barrier, your footsteps eerie in the empty Tokyo streets. As you approach the barrier, you slow down and put your hand to it. You are met with resistance.

A barrier meant to keep sorcerers out, perhaps? You wonder. Turning your head left and right, you look for any traces that other people were here, but see nothing. What's going on inside the barrier? It was a murky grey color, and its opaque qualities kept any events inside privy from intruders.

You begin to follow the barrier but are stopped when the barrier meets with a building. If you are to keep following the circumference, you must go around the building.