Star-Spangled

The day of Steve's first performance on the base arrived. Although she had hoped that it would bring a sense of joy and distraction, it seemed that many of the soldiers were unamused that their only form of entertainment was a gimmick.

In spite of those who would have rather been anywhere but the show, Allie was looking forward to seeing her older brother. Mary, Evelyn, and Louise had worked hard to find a nurse to take Allie's shift in the medical tent so that she could enjoy the show. While they wouldn't say anything aloud, all three of them were also looking forward to hearing her commentary they knew she would have.

As the afternoon wore on and the stage was set for the performance, Allie and her friends made their way to the masses. Soldiers were lining up, piling into rows to face the stage. One particular group of men stopped Allie as she walked past.

"Nurse Rogers," one of the men said as her face scrunched in confusion.

"I'm sorry, have we met?" she studied his face.

He was decent enough looking, although his face almost appeared as if it were pinched. His eyes were sharp, his lips quirked into a smirk as he looked at her. She felt herself shifting uncomfortably as she watched his eyes looking up and down her frame.

"No, we haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet. Gilmore Hodge," he introduced himself. "I happen to know your brother."

"I see," Allie pursed her lips. In an instant, she knew exactly the type of man in front of her. "And how exactly do you know him?"

"We were in basic training together," Hodge gave a simple shrug of his shoulders. "I recognize you from the pictures he had of you."

"I see," Allie studied the man in front of her. Behind her, although she didn't see it, all three of her friends glanced at each other uncomfortably. It seemed that none of the women were particularly fond of the sudden conversation with Hodge.

"Allie," a voice sounded beside her. As she turned to face the voice, Wilson Harris was looking over her shoulder at Hodge. "I thought I saw you walking by."

"Hi Wilson," she greeted, happy to have a way out of the interaction. "How are you feeling?" she turned slightly to Hodge. "I apologize, but I really should speak with Private Harris here."

Without listening to what Hodge could say in response, she walked off with Wilson and her friends. Reaching what she considered a safe distance, Allie leaned in and kept her voice hushed as she asked him if he knew anything about Hodge.

"He's a skeeze," Wilson's nose had scrunched. "I don't like having to sit with him in the mess hall. The others from the 107th don't either."

"Well, thank you for saving us," Allie laughed.

"I didn't realize you were talking to him until I reached you all," Wilson admitted. "But, I'm happy to be of service."

Reaching a bench that was close to the 107th, the four women sat together and faced the stage. Allie and Mary had begun a conversation, curious about what they were going to be seeing. As much as she wanted to be amused by whatever took place in front of her, Allie prayed that her brother didn't make a fool of himself.

Turning to invite both Louise and Evelyn into their conversation, they were met with the sight of Evelyn enamored with Wilson. Glancing at each other, both Allie and Mary found themselves smirking. Allie noticed that Wilson seemed equally enamored by Evelyn.

"Uh, hi," Wilson extended his hand out to Evelyn. "I'm Wilson."

"Evelyn," she took his hand and shook it. Glancing beside herself at her friends, she gave an embarrassed smile. "This is Louise, Mary, and I see that you already know Allie."