Christmas

The Christmas spirit was present in the Howling Commandos' safe house. The week following their first successful mission, the men could be heard singing Christmas carols throughout the halls. Allie, Steve, and Bucky had decided to try and decorate the safe house the best that they could for the holiday. It had included a trip into the closest town together to buy popcorn and string from a local shop.

One afternoon, Bucky happily took to making popcorn strings. Allie had popped the popcorn as he prepared the strings and supplies, and as much as she tried to help, Allie settled into eating a few of the popcorn pieces instead.

"You know, you're eating my supplies," Bucky laughed as he strung one of the garlands.

"Well, in my defense, you have delicious supplies," she smirked and stole another piece of popcorn.

Steve had found a small tree nearby the safe house and had decided to bring it in to act as a Christmas tree. It wasn't much and it wasn't grand, but once Bucky completed the popcorn garlands and Allie helped him put them on the tree, it felt a bit more like the holidays.

"You know, I wish we had ornaments to put on it," Allie frowned with a small sigh as Bucky stood beside her to admire the tree.

"It's okay," he shrugged. "I think it's still a nice tree."

Allie gave him a small smile and went to clean up the table that had popcorn crumbs still scattered on the top of it. As Allie left his side, Steve walked up to take her place. Bucky was still looking over at Allie with a grin that caused Steve to raise a brow.

"Have you gotten her a Christmas gift yet?" Steve asked as he glanced over at Allie who wasn't paying attention.

"Not yet," Bucky admitted with a sigh. "I don't even know where to start with what to pick."

"I'm sure you'll think of something," Steve gave a small shrug.

"Steve, this is the only time that I've been at a loss for what to choose," Bucky's hand came to his temples, rubbing gently as he thought for a moment.

"There's still a few days until Christmas," Steve reassured him. "Besides, I'm sure she still needs to go into town for gifts as well."

Bucky looked to Steve, taking a deep breath and letting it out through his nose. He may not have known exactly what he wanted to buy for Allie, but he knew that he didn't want to buy her anything remotely similar to the things he had gotten for her in the past.

He was sure that the kiss they had shared a week prior had meant something. In the week following their kiss, Allie and Bucky had been regularly finding excuses to sit beside one another, 'accidentally' brushing hands when reaching for the same item, or finding themselves walking to the same places.

Allie herself was worried about what she would buy as gifts for all of the men. She didn't know the other Commandos quite as well as she knew Bucky and Steve, but she was determined to give them something for the holiday. After all, they were all away from their homes as well.

Thinking through ideas of what to do, Allie began to think about what she could do for Bucky. What would she be able to do that would make sense? What would he want this year? A set of footsteps came beside her as she finished cleaning up the area Bucky had made the popcorn garlands.

"So, you can patch a man up, but can't string a garland of popcorn?" Dugan teased with a grin as he stood beside her.

"You'd think I'd be able to string popped kernels, but I can't," she shook her head in mock disappointment. Her fake frown quickly turned to a grin. "If I can be honest with you, I do prefer to watch him make the strings."