Chapter 1

In an empty street, a little girl was sitting there on the cold ground, her bangs hiding her emotionless eyes. Since the massacre of her family, the girl had nowhere to go. At this point, she had given up on her life and just wanted to die in this cold winter.

-"...Living is a waste of time, they've taken everything from me... Why am I still alive, do you really want me to suffer that much, God... ?" The girl muttered in a low voice, looking at the grey sky.

For her, death was the most beautiful gift that life could give her. She was all alone, she lost her family and her house was burned down, all she wanted was to die, hoping that she could see again all of her family and her big brother that she loved more than anything, Oboro.

-"I don't think so, I think that you're still living for a reason. Wouldn't someone be sad if you were to die ?" Said a man in a gentle voice before approaching the little girl.

At that time, she didn't know that the man standing in front of her was the responsible of the massacre of her family but also the one who saved her beloved brother.

-"Oi, Shoyo ! Waccha doin' ?! Let's hurry, I'm freezing outta there !" Called a boy from the end of the street.

The said man, Shoyo turned his head toward the boy.

-"Gintoki, come here for a second." Replied Shoyo looking at him.

The boy looked at Shoyo, a scowl on his face but complied and slowly begun to walk toward them.
Soon, the little girl found herself being in front of two complete strangers.

-"Young miss, meet Gintoki, my student. Like you, he lost everything abandonned as a child and forced to wield a sword to survive on the battlefield." Explained Shoyo looking at the girl with gentle eyes.

-"Geez, stop it Shoyo, you look like some stupid TV drama charac- OUCH !" Gintoki suddenly cutted himself when Shoyo's fist came in contact with his skull.

-"So... As I was saying, what is your name, young miss ?" Asked Shoyo to the little girl, completely ignoring Gintoki's whines of pain.

The girl suddenly started to feel anxious, why would she tell her name to strangers who she just met ? Why did that man approached her in the first place ?

She decided to stay silent, still suspicious of them.

Shoyo took notice of that and tried to take an gentler approach. He didn't want to scare her, he wanted to help her to prove her that she needed to cherish her life and certainly not throw it away.

-"I see, It's perfectly natural that you're still suspicious of us. After all, we're only strangers for you."

Shoyo crouched down in front of her and pulled an rice ball out of his sleeve.

-"Are you perhaps hungr-" The little girl suddenly cutted Shoyo by immediately snatching the rice ball out of his hands and starting to eat it.

The little girl  finished eating the rice ball in less than 5 seconds and was now looking at Shoyo with her (E/C) eyes.
That certainly had shocked the two males who were looking at the girl with widened eyes.

-"So you were really hungry, huh...?" Mumbled Gintoki, quickly regaining his usual bored face.

The girl seemed to trust Shoyo a little more after this gesture. She muttered a low "thank you" before lowering her head again.

-"H-Haha, It's really nothing, more important, how long has it been since you haven't eaten, young miss ?" Asked Shoyo, still recovering from the fact that she had eaten the rice ball in less than 5 seconds.