52: Fire And Bones

Remnya

Night had fallen, and the smell of grilled meat sneaked into Remnya's bedroom. She lay still in the darkness, listening to the music blaring through the walls, mixed with the shouts and laughter of Debrin's army.

They had arrived by twilight and surrounded the house with their camps. According to Merle, they celebrated another successful mission.

Remnya didn't feel like meeting new people, but being courteous was the least she could do for those who had protected Brisa. She sat up and took a moment to recover her energy.

The golden pendant around her neck tickled her skin, reminding her of her last words. Remnya wondered if she'd get to see her sister again.

Just one last time.

Remnya rushed to the bathroom to wash the melancholy off her face.

Looking in the mirror, she noticed how long her hair had gotten; her bangs covered her eyes, and the back touched her tail. She lifted it in a ponytail, adjusted her clothes, and headed outside to face the horde.

As she opened the door, the music hit her like a train, resounding in her ears and chest with loud thuds.

Lamps hanging from trees illuminated the forest, along with the orange glow of multiple campfires placed around tables and chairs where Debrin's people drank and ate.

Nobody noticed Remnya as she wandered among the crowd. Nephilims, hybrids, and humans; everyone laughed together. An unlikely sight that gave Remnya a dim light of hope.

A heavy hand landed on her shoulder. She turned and saw Merle beaming at her with a roasted turkey in his left hand.

"I thought you wouldn't come," Merle said, the reek of alcohol hitting Remnya like a punch. "Glad to see you!"

"Mr. Merle, I was just. . ."

Before she could finish, Merle shoved the turkey into her hands, covering her clothes and skin with sauce and oil. "You're too skinny. You better start eating more if you want to become strong!"

She almost dropped the food but caught it mid-air while Merle guffawed at her clumsiness.

Remnya scowled. "I can't eat all this on my own." She tried to give the food back, but Merle didn't listen.

"Come with me! I will introduce you to the rest of my crew!" He grabbed her arm and dragged her with him toward a table, where a group of shady-looking people gathered.

Remnya hugged the turkey and gulped when two creepy eyes locked on her.

"Is this the kid you were talking about?" a shirtless, overweight man said, biting a goat's thigh. He sat on the floor with a lady by his side.

"That's right!" Merle slapped Remnya's back, trying to be playful, but his massive hand emptied her lungs. "The big fella here is Vladimore, and the beautiful lady next to him is his wife, Ozura."

Remnya rushed to bow to them. "It's nice to meet you. I am Remnya." She noticed he and the lady had horns and tails too.

The big man chewed his meal and scanned Remnya from head to toe while the woman greeted her with a cold smile.

"Merle said that woman was your friend," Vladimore told Remnya, dipping his bread in spicy sauce.

"What woman? Brisa?" Remnya asked, widening her eyes.

"Yeah, that one." He pointed at her and nodded. "We found her."

"REALLY?" Remnya put the turkey on the table and rushed to him with a smile plastered on her face. "Where is she?"