6: Withered Flower

Zeo

Unknown voices echoed in the distance, unintelligible words drilling his head, trying to reach his consciousness, a void where death seemed welcoming and called his name like an old friend.

Yet, Zeo seized the hands of life. His senses awakened, and the warmth of another opportunity filled his cold body.

It's not your time yet . . .

If you leave . . .

Remnya will be sad . . .

. . .

Everything was silent darkness when Zeo overheard the raspy voice of Orena resounding in his head. It kept growing louder until her roar was blaring right in his ears.

"Hey, four-eyes. Wake up!"

A flash blinded Zeo as he opened his eyes. He recoiled at the incandescent lights and waited a moment until his pupils adapted to his surroundings.

Finally, Zeo could recognize the blurred, round figure standing by his right. It was Orena. As he turned to his left, he saw Ellyn rubbing something on his forehead.

"What happened?" Zeo mumbled weakly.

"It seems like Liam went too far this time." Ellyn said, pressing a bandage against his head.

Dizziness and acute pain traveled throughout his skull. He realized he was lying on a bed in the infirmary. He tasted a metallic flavor in his mouth and noticed how the pain lingering in his body was intensifying.

"I can't believe you were so stupid!" Orena yelled at Zeo, his voice giving him a headache. "You deserve what happened to you!"

Zeo lowered his gaze and nodded. He would have slapped himself if his arms had had any strength left. What was I thinking? Trying to be brave?

"I gotta admit any other kid would be dead in your place, or in a coma," Ellyn said, scanning his body as if witnessing an oddity.

"Like Butter?" Zeo added, grimacing at the pain.

Ellyn nodded. "I guess Remnya was right. Your head is as hard as steel."

Zeo sighed. No matter what Remnya thinks of me. I'm still weak and a coward. "Is Amy okay?" he rushed to ask. Her cries still echoed in his mind.

"That little rat is fine," Orena answered, glaring at him. "She was here earlier but ran away scared of blood."

Zeo took a deep breath as relief seemed to spare him some pain.

The nurse finished treating his wounds while Orena smoked a cigar by the window, filling the room with a dense gray mist. The pain was intense, especially on the left side of his head, which felt like falling apart. Even thinking seemed to hurt.

"Mrs. Orena!" a caregiver called nervously from the doorway. "Someone wants to see you!"

"Who?" Orena glared at her, blowing smoke from her nostrils. "Tell them to wait."

"I tried doing that but he says it's urgent!"

The old lady hissed. "I don't care! I'm on my break right now."

"But Mrs. Orena—" Before the woman could finish her sentence, a strange man pushed her out of the way and stomped into the infirmary.

"Mr. Marcus . . . " Orena murmured, dropping her cigarette as her pupils dilated.

Cold silence engulfed the room.

Zeo observed that man for a moment until he finally recognized his face. Remnya's adoptive father, he thought. Zeo tried to sit up, but the excruciating ache made him groan in pain and sent him back to the pillow. Nonetheless, he lifted his torso, aided by his arms, and looked at the gentleman in front of him.