Chapter One

My eyes flutter open as my alarm clock blares into my ears. I groan and slap the top to shut it up.

I roll out of bed and walk to my bathroom. I get in the shower to wash my hair and body and once I'm out, I brush my teeth.

"LILITH!!! COME DOWNSTAIRS YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL!!!" I hear my mom yell.

"Ugh, coming!" I scream back.

I dry and style my shoulder-length black hair as best as I could. I tease it and make sure my fringe is looking sharp before I pop in my purple raccoon tail extensions.

I put on ripped black skinny jeans with a spiked belt, and a ripped long-sleeved black shirt with a band tee layered on top of it.

I grab my backpack and beanie and rush downstairs.

"Lilith, hurry or you'll miss the bus!"

I sat on the floor to put on my black high-top converse, not even bothering to tie them properly. I open the door and before I could close it my mom says,

"Lilith, what about breakfa-" I cut her off by slamming the door and running down the sidewalk to my bus stop.

I see my bus and start sprinting. Either the driver didn't see me, or he chose to ignore me. He drove off, leaving me panting on the dewy sidewalk.

I groan in frustration and think about what I should do. My mom's car is in the shop so I can't ask her, and my dad... Well, I don't have one. He was brutally murdered a week ago.

I guess that leaves me no choice.

I sigh and accept my fate of walking to school through the forest. I barely even knew the way, but I'll figure it out. Besides, I have google maps on my phone.

~~~

The slightly damp leaves and twigs crunch underneath my feet as I wander through the forest.

Alright, I'm lost.

I pull out my phone and open maps and type in my school.

"Network Error: Please Try Again" my screen reads.

"Shit," I mutter to myself.

I slid my phone into my back pocket and look around. All that was in sight were tall trees. No roads, no sidewalks, no people.

I shudder from the cold breeze hitting the back of my neck and continue walking.

"What's a pretty young lady like you doing out here all alone...?" A deep voice almost whispered to me from behind.

I jump slightly and turn around to see a tall man. He was wearing a hood so I couldn't see his eyes very well, but I saw him smirking.

"U-um, n-nothing. I'm just trying to get to school," I stuttered, backing away from him.

He chuckled, "You know if you're lost I could... show you around." He stepped closer to me as I kept stepping back.

"N-no thank you! Really, I'm okay!" I say, panicked.

He ignores this and comes closer and I could see his left hand pull a switchblade out of his jacket pocket.

My eyes widen as I shriek and bolt off in the other direction. I quickly peek over my shoulder to see him chasing after me.

I get even more horrified and run even faster. I could hear his footsteps behind me. I saw an opening to a path ahead of me, so I quickly turned and dove behind a wall of bushes.

I heard him enter the path and slow down. I held my breath.

"You can't hide from me, girl...!" he snarls.

I squeeze my eyes shut, praying that he wouldn't find me.

Please please please don't let him find me...!

I then heard a loud thump, almost like something fell from the sky. I glance through the leaves to see another man, wearing a white hoodie over his entire face standing right behind the guy.

"H-hey, who the fuck are y-" he gets cut off by the second man.

"Go. To. SLEEP...!" The white hooded man growled as he grabbed the other man from behind and slit his throat with a chef's knife.

I try to hold in my gasp as I watch in horror. I hoped he wouldn't notice me.

The hooded man let the other man drop to the floor, dead. He licked his bloody fingers and sped off.

I stayed crouched behind the bushes in shock. Tears swell up in my eyes as all the emotions I was holding in start flooding.

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! I witnessed a fucking murder...!

I was shaking so hard that I could barely lift myself off the ground. I didn't care to even check if he was still alive, I ran as fast as I could in the opposite direction of the killer.

~~~

After what seemed like hours of running, I finally made it to a trail. I see a couple behind me dressed in jogging attire. They wave at me.

I wait for them to catch up to me so I could ask them for directions.

"Hey kid, you okay?" the man asked.

I struggle to answer but I finally do, "Yes, I'm fine. Do you happen to know how to get to Eastwood High?"

The woman smiles, "Of course! We're heading in that general direction, follow us for a bit and I'll show you the way!"

~~~

I arrive at school nearly 2 hours late. I walk into my third-period class, history.

"Look who finally decided to show up," my teacher said sarcastically. She's a huge bitch.

"I had to walk to school this morning, sorry." I plop down at an empty desk as all the other students stare at me. I roll my eyes.

Never seen an emo before?

"Miss Peterson! Do NOT roll your eyes at me!" My teacher scolded me.

"It doesn't take 2 hours to walk to school. Where is your tardy slip?!"

I looked around, realizing I never went to the front office to get one.

"I-I don't have one..." I trail off.

"You were probably just skipping class to do drugs like all emos do. Detention after school!" She declared as the other kids snickered at my expense.

I sigh and put in my earbuds.