the mask of murder.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

the mask of murder

volume two; murder

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

The walls of Elora Clarkes home are lined with photographs. Before she had been reaped and lost any semblance of family, the few photos her family could afford to take were haphazardly taped to her the wall above her single bed. Now, those photos lay forgotten under the rusting frame of her childhood refuge. She left her family in the past as they did with her. Elora was a new person now but the one thing she could never leave behind was her fondness of capturing a memory.

Her home is littered with photographs of her new family. Of her new life. Finnick makes up the majority with his sun kissed skin and beaming smile. Annie is in just as many. Framed photos of the soulmate pair together rest in various locations of her household. There are far too many of her and Finnick laughing on the beach. They're always a little bit shaky and a tiny bit too blurred because Mags takes those. Annie doesn't come to the beach.

Elora only has one photo of the four of them. It was taken only a week after the shark attack, but it has become her most treasured photo. Finnick and Mags took turns sleeping over in the hospital for her first week in recovery, and after that there was always someone with her during the day. Annie had come to visit despite the way she hates the hospital. It remind her too much of death, of the capitol, of her games and things like that could send her into an episode that would last for days. The three of them were cramped into Elora's tiny hospital room, which barely had space for the bed and Finnick, let alone all three of them. Elora had been so focused on making Annie laugh, on keeping her happy, that she almost missed how tired Mags looked.

A pat on the bed was all the invitation needed. The older woman climbed into bed next to her and they laid in the single cot so squished together there was barely room to breathe. Annie was giggling to herself quietly at the sight of them so uncomfortable. Finnick stood behind her with his arms wrapped around her frame. The next thing she knew the shutter of her old film camera sounded and they turned to see the old district nurse behind them. She carried that photo with her everywhere, even now, as she stands behind screen waiting to be called on for her tv interview. 

Elora could only hope she would get to make memories like that with Cato. 

This was her first interview since the capitol had found out about their soulmate bond, and consequently her first interview since he had entered the arena. Despite it only being a few hours ago it felt like years. The games were playing on screens all around her, even being broadcasted on billboards. In the capitol, it was impossible to escape the games.