𝟖| 𝐀𝐧 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟-𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

I was blinded by all the bright light when I looked through one of those pipes, making me step back. I blinked a couple of times to drive those black spots away from my vision that had appeared due to so much light being flashed into my eyes all of a sudden.

When my vision returned, I looked at the device once again. It seemed like something that one might use to look at the stars in the night sky. I looked at the dog as if to confirm my doubts but he said nothing except for sitting at a corner, watching me keenly.

"I think I'll return to look at it later," I muttered to myself before declaring to the dog, "Let's go now. I found this book which should interest me for a while,"

I returned to my room and read the lock picking manual for the rest of the day until it was time for lunch. The book was interesting enough to have captured my attention for such a long time without boring me. I learned a lot from it and the more I leaned, the more I felt this yearning to try it out but I decided it would be impolite to go around the house, picking all the locks in the room.

I must wait for the right time to use the knowledge. Deep down I had a feeling that that right time would present itself to me soon. All I needed to do was keep patience.

I had lunch the same way I had breakfast before retuning to my room and finishing the book there. It had been such a long time ever since I got to have a whole day all to myself, without worrying about my aunt threatening to throw me out of the house every fifteen minutes.

Though I had to admit that my worries in this house were different but so far, there hadn't been any sign that could indicate that either of those two members of this house wanted to hurt me.

A couple of days slowly flew by in the same manner. I would wake up in the morning, have breakfast, go to the library and find something to read, and spend the rest of my days in my new bedroom. Sometimes, I went for a walk in the backyard in the afternoon, and quite surprisingly, it turned out to be nothing like I imagined.

There were no graves to start with though the grass was growing all over the place. Maxim seemed to like it that way. There were two small patches of gardens in the backyard, both set apart from each other by a huge distance.

In one patch grew the usual vegetables and the other garden grew flowers I had never seen before. I was about to sniff one of the atrociously beautiful-looking flowers when Frith appeared from nowhere and warned me against it.

"Why?" I had asked.

"If you wish to die then be our guest," He responded. This made me look at the garden more carefully this time.

"Are all of them poisonous?"

"Quite so,"

"How interesting. I wonder why Mr. Night would require to have poisonous plants in his backyard,"

"That's none of your business," And with that, he had strode away. I decided to leave the poisonous garden and rounded the house to find the stable where the two grey horse were kept.

They were the same horses who pulled the carriages. Frith was attending them. I found it off how he'd managed to change his clothes so quickly because a few moments ago he was in his usual uniform but now he was wearing a different set of clothes.

He threw me a nasty look as usual and got back to work. I decided to go back to my room and finish the book I was reading about some Italian philosopher. It was boring but it was all I could find in the library that I was able to read.

A couple more days passed like this and now I was starting to ge more and more comfortable in the house and with Frith. I never saw Mr. Night after the night he brought me home.