Chapter 1 - Welcome Home

The wooden door swung open with a bang and I'm immediately tackled to the floor by my little sister.

"I've missed you so much, Mel!!"

"I've missed you too Mei Mei."

I affectionately patted her head, she was still the same kind girl with her two adorable pigtails.

We resembled eachother quite a bit, our midnight black hair and blue eyes, except I opted for two braids and my eyes hit the genetic equivalent of a bust, so I had to wear these metal framed glasses.

"Heyy, stop treating me like a kid, I'm a highschooler now."

Marinette pouted at me while I let out a light chuckle.

"You'll always be my adorable kid sister."

I playfully stuck my tongue out at her and pushed myself back up to greet my parents whom I haven't seen for a year.

The store front hadn't changed at all, the adorable pastries on display made my mouth water and the quaint rustic quality gave me a homely feel. The smell of pastries wafted through the air, just as I remembered. There really is no place like home.

"Hi mama, hi papa, I missed you both a lot."

I ran up to them giving them a tight hug.

"We missed you too Mélodie."

They pecked my cheek and my dad lifted me into the air.

"Haha look at how much you've grown!"

He spin me around the air just like every year, and I don't think he'll stop anytime soon. Just as I was starting to get a bit too dizzy, ma chimed in.

"Now, I think that's enough honey, Mel looks like she's starting to feel sick."

"Oh dear, my bad Mel, I'm just so excited to see you again. Humph, why'd you have to go to that London school, we have plenty of good universities here in Paris."

My dad was always against me attending Cowford University, since I'd have to stay in the dormitory in London during the school year. But, I was offered a full coverage scholarship and it'd be a waste to turn it down.

"Oh honey, you know Mel had her reasons, Cowford is the school Mel chose for herself. It's also one if the best schools in the world, so you best be proud of her."

"I know... Oh course I'm proud of you Mel, I just wish we'd get to see you more often."

Now dad was pouting.

"I know dad, me too. But this really is my dream, I love music and Cowford has some of the best professors to learn from. How about this? After dinner, I'll give you guys a sneak peek of my newest composition!"

Dad's face lit up from the sound of that.

"Of course dear! I can't wait to hear you play again, the ol piano is still in your room!"

"Great! I'll head down then, can you help bring some of my stuff down Marinette?"

"Of course!"

Marinette grabbed a bag in each arm and headed downstairs to my room with me.

"So how have things been Marinette? Any new friends?"

"I made a new friend at school this year! Her name is Alya, I also got closer to a lot of my classmates. I'm even the class rep this year, just like you were."

"That's awesome to hear Marinette! I was honestly a little worried, since you were always a shy kid, I'm glad you're spreading your wings."

I wiped an imaginary tear from my eye while Marinette made a face that read are you serious?

"Then, have you made any friends?"

I gave her a knowing look as her whole face flushed up.

"W-wh-what d-do you mean b-by that, I just told you I did."

"Haha, looks like spring has come for my dear little sister. I know! Why don't you invite your friends over tomorrow? I'd love to meet them! You could call it a welcome home party for me, and I'll whip something up. We can have a picnic at the park nearby."

It would be the perfect opportunity to scout out who's got my lil sis in a blushing mess. Also, I want to get updated on the current situation in Paris from actual citizens. I've seen news of Hawkmoth, Ladybug and Cat noir but nothing too detailed. Of course I want to know what I'm getting myself into for the summer break.

"Sure! I haven't had your cooking in so long, I miss it so much."

Marinette's face visibly brightened up.