Chapter 10: Buses and Steam Rollers

One day on Paradise Island, the bus was out of date, and the parts to fix it weren't made anymore. It was donated to a museum of road travel. (Y/N) now had a big problem: there was now no bus to take the passengers along the road. She then had an idea. 

Gordon was dropping passengers off at the seaside station, when he saw a familiar steam roller.

"Oh no," he said, "Not George. What was (Y/N) thinking?" He then puffed off to Sir Topham Hat Station. When he arrived, he also saw a familiar double decker bus.

 When he arrived, he also saw a familiar double decker bus

Mallard was next to Gordon, and he looked cross. "That bus was very rude to me!" he said, "I just said a hello, and he ranted about me being an old tea kettle!" "That's just Bulgy," said Gordon, "Just ignore him. He just wants attention. Although, you might want to keep an eye out for George the steam roller. He's the one who causes trouble by blocking railway crossings, saying 'Railways are no good, turn them into roads!'" Mallard was amazed, "Perhaps we should talk to (Y/N) about them."

That night, Gordon and Mallard spoke with (Y/N) and she said, "I know you Sudrian Engines have history with George and Bulgy, but they along with Bertie were the only ones available. I not to mention, Bertie was about to be scrapped." Thomas smiled, "I'm glad you were able to save Bertie." "That's the only thing that's good about this new deal!" said James. "I want you all to ignore Bulgy and George if they start their Anti-Rail nonsense," said (Y/N). She then walked away to rest up for the next day.

George and Bulgy heading towards a construction site, where Betty's machines were working on a new railway. "Hello," said Bulgy, "My name is Bulgy, and this is my friend George. What are your names?" "I'm Scoop, this is Muck, Dizzy, and Lofty." "Nice to meet you all," said George, "What are you building?" "We're building a new railroad to get to factory," said Muck. Bulgy was about to say something, until George spoke up, "Oh, well, (Y/N) came to tell you that she changed her mind. She wants this to be a road." "But," said Dizzy, "Roley is helping Jack and the pack on building the new bus shed. He can't make it in time." "Well, I could help out," said George, "I'm a steam roller that can flatten the pavement for you all." "Thanks," said Scoop, "I think we need to return the rails and sleeper to the supply shed. Can you take them back Muck and get the cement?" "Of course," said Muck. "CAN WE BUILD IT?" asked Scoop "YES WE CAN!" said Dizzy and Muck. "Um, yeah I think so," said Lofty. "I like that catch phrase," said George, "Can I say it too?" "Of course," said Scoop. "YES WE CAN!"  

Soon, Dizzy was mixing, and Scoop was digging up the rocks, and putting them in Muck's dumper. Dizzy poured down the cement, and George flattened it our. Bulgy helped bring workmen while Lofty helped set up danger signs.

Betty came on Roley, and she was shocked to see a road. "WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!?!?" she asked. "We-we're just doing as we're told," said Scoop. George then tried to roll away, but was stopped. "Oh," said Betty, "You must be George, part of the Anti-Railway League with Bulgy. (Y/N) warned me about you. We were building this railway to help bring cars to the mainland!" George was cross now, "CARS CAN RUN ON THEIR OWN!!" "The cars are sent on the rails, because we don't have the things to give them a proper test run!" said Betty, "Now, I will speak with (Y/N) about this!" Betty then climbed on Scoop, and the other machines stared crossly at George. 

(Y/N) had some stern words for George and Bulgy. "Machines who take advantage of my authority are no machines fit to work on my railway!" she said, "What's worse, is that you made a road where a railway was made, to HELP the roads with new cars, and supplies to build them! Need I to remind you George that your roller was taken away, and you were turned into a boiler? Do you want that to happen again?!" "N-No ma'am," said George. "And Bulgy, you managed to bribe work men to help build this! Need I remind you that the last time you misbehaved like this, you were turned into a hen house?" "No," said Bulgy, "I remember it like it was yesterday." "For your punishments, Bulgy, you will be taking the workmen here, and stay here until they are done with building the railway. And you George, you will help tear up this road, and make it the railroad it was supposed to be!" "Yes ma'am," said the two machines. "Serves you right!" said Muck.

For the next month, George used a scrapper to tear the road up, and he helped Roley smooth out the dirt underneath. Scoop, Muck, Jack, Alfie, and Oliver laid rocks down for the sweepers to lay on. Bulgy stood to the side, as Betty, Jeffery and the workmen laid down sweepers and rails with Lofty and Kelly. Soon, the railway was finished, and the cars were brought to the docks, and loaded to go to the mainland. As for George and Bulgy, they were shut up in their sheds for the time being.

Thomas as at the junction, waiting for passengers, when a familiar horn honked. He looked up to see a red bus.

"Bertie!" said Thomas, "It's great to see you again!!" "You too Thomas," said Bertie, "I'm glad you managed to escape scrap

"Bertie!" said Thomas, "It's great to see you again!!" "You too Thomas," said Bertie, "I'm glad you managed to escape scrap. I've been re-routed to go to the big stations at the end of the line. I'm afraid we can't have a race until Bulgy has learned his lesson." "I understand Bertie," said Thomas, "Until next time." Thomas then puffed off, as Mallard pulled in with local. "Hello," said Mallard, "You must be Bertie. I've heard about your races with Thomas." "Yes," said Bertie, "I've also heard that you are the fastest steam engine in the world. Now, I can see how, but I'll believe it when I see it." Mallard smirked, "Well, how about a race to the end of the line? Stopping only for fuel and passengers?" "Fine by me," said Bertie. (Start video) The Guard blew his whistle, and Mallard took off, with Bertie following, racing to the station.