Chapter 47: Scotman's Rival

The next big rail tour came, and the engines were nervous. When the engine came, it was one who Scotsman was quick to dislike.

 When the engine came, it was one who Scotsman was quick to dislike

"Oh no, not him," said Scotsman. "Oh, hello Flying Scotsman," said the engine. "Hello City of Truro." "Do you two know each other?" asked Henry. "We do," said City of Truro, "See, I am the first engine to hit 100 mph." "I thought Scotsman was the first engine to do that," said Thomas. "I was!!" said Scotsman, "But he said he did it a day before my record! His wasn't even recorded!! So how do we even know if he did hit it!" "That's enough you two!" said (Y/N), "Now, I don't want any arguing. Flying Scotsman, I need you on the local today. Thomas, please go to your branch line. Henry, you're on the express today. Gordon, you're on the non-stop express. James, you're in charge of the motorail today." Soon, the engines headed off, and City of Truro was quick to taunt, "Oh dear, it seems you're not as fast as you should be, if you're pulling the local!" "AHEM!" said (Y/N), and City of Truro instantly shut up. 

Soon, Flying Scotsman was on the main line, when he saw Mallard. He then told him about City of Truro. "Well," said Mallard, "He is Great Western, and they were the LNER's greatest rival in the day before British Railways. Besides, you record was recorded, and his was not. So we have no idea of telling." Mallard then puffed off with his local. Scotsman was pleased. 

City of Truro was soon puffing along the mainline, and he whistled friendly to the other engines. Except for Scotsman. The two just glared at each other when they passed. Soon, City of Truro was talking with Dick. "Well, I know how you feel," said Dick, "I was once the fastest engine on the whole railway, even surpassing Mallard, until he accidentally broke his brakes." "What happened?" asked City of Truro. "Well, he went down the main line with the non-stop express, and he went at a speed he hadn't gone in years. He soon broke his own record of 126 mph to 132 mph. Making him still the fastest steam engine in the world, and now, the fastest engine on this railway." City of Truro soon frowned. "WHAT?! HIM!?! 132 MPH!?!? I can go that fast, easily without having to brake anything!" City of Truro then started to puff off, and he picked up speed very quickly. "Oh dear," said Dick, "I should perhaps get the breakdown cranes." He then headed to the yards.

Soon, City of Truro was racing down the line, completely braking the speed limit. "SLOW DOWN!!!" cried his driver, but City of Truro didn't listen. Soon, he reached the end of the line, and he braked hard, but he soon over shot the platform completely, bumping his passengers, and there was even sparks coming from his brakes. He then slowly backed up to the platform, and the rail tour manager and (Y/N) were not very happy. "City of Truro," said the manager, "Why were you going so fast over the speed limit?" "I-I," City of Truro tried to think of an excuse, but instead decided to tell the truth, "I was trying to beat Mallard's record, but I only went 102 mph, so, I pushed myself to go faster. I suppose I was just a bit jealous when I heard that Mallard went faster than me." (Y/N) looked at City of Truro, and said, "You must under stand that you and Scotsman are not the only fast engines around. Through out history, there have been engines that have hit over 300 mph. If even Mallard tried that, his boiler would burst! You're lucky yours didn't when you were racing down the line just now." "Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am." Just then, Dick rolled in with the breakdown cranes, but saw there was nothing wrong. "Oh, perhaps I was just a bit paranoid. I guess I was thinking that City of Truro might actually crash trying to, breakdown, his record." Everyone laughed. 

He soon met up with Duck, Oliver and Oltan Hall. They soon talked endlessly of Great Western. "You know," said Duck, "Some might say it was Flying Scotsman that hit 100 mph first, but I think it was you. But you should know the old saying." "I do," said City of Truro, "There are two ways of doing things." "The wrong way," said Duck. "And the Great Western Way," said the four engine together. Soon, they were all laughing and exchanging stories with each other. When City of Truro had to leave, he made peace with Flying Scotsman. "It's really just a number on a board," he said, "What really matters is how an engine is really useful." Flying Scotsman had to agree.