03. DIMLY LIT THOUGHTS

GHOSTING

CHAPTER THREE: DIMLY LIT THOUGHTS

ESTHER almost found herself wishing that hell was hot, the way it was in all the stories, but this was a new type of hot

A burning cold that nipped at your legs and arms through your clothes and always left you wondering when you would be warm again.

She hated it.

Vera- still letting her curl in at her side- walked beside the girl while they followed behind Lise as she led them across the cold landscape to the growing flames of the fire they'd previously mentioned.

The sight of the fire alone made goosebumps crawl up her arms, it looked so comfortable, everyone sitting around the fire- some snuggling into each other- while a blonde girl seemed to be presenting something to them at the head of the fire.

Lise glanced back at the two girls before pointing a finger at the blonde, "that's Sonya, you'll meet our Leader, Harriet, soon." Esther furrowed her brows, she could've sworn that when they'd first begun to send people into Group B's maze that Lise would be determined the leader, they hadn't expected Harriet.

Their variables had been wrong.

Esther felt something in her drop as if the thing in its entirety was wrong.

All of it.

She softly shook her head, it didn't matter now, if she didn't play by WICKED'S rules she'd be dead in a matter of hours.

She had to play along.

Play the game.

It made her sick to her core.

"Is there anything you remember?" Vera questioned, her voice was softer than Esther had thought it'd be, she'd figured that the girl would be angry and demanding answers but it seemed that instead, she was showing kindness and hospitality.

Esther shook her head, she knew it would be best if she pretended to not have any memories, that was what WICKED would have wanted, it was what they wanted.

"No, I just remember some flashing lights, but that's it."

Neither of the two girls spoke after she answered, instead, they continued to walk towards the fire.

As they began to approach the small meeting of sorts, they found a spot towards the middle of the group and settled themselves into the snow beneath them.

Thank god Esther had changed, otherwise, she'd be freezing.

Turning her attention to Sonya as she spoke, she fought the urge to reply.

"I think that if we start going out into the maze at night, that we could raise our levels of efficiency, we could get out of here within the next week or so."