01. AWAKENDED

GHOSTING

CHAPTER ONE: AWAKENED

ESTHER shielded her eyes from the wreckage she'd created, several hours prior, she would have never imagined herself committing such a crime

But she had.

And they would know it was her.

Hoping to escape without being caught- despite the fact she knew it wasn't likely- she rushed away from the ruins and through the closest entrance, inside, she saw only one subject, and it was a girl.

She'd yet to introduce herself to this one but didn't bother with introductions as she had far more important matters to attend to, like making sure she got out of the damned facility alive.

That was going to be a problem all on its own.

Esther rushed past the girl and around the corner skidding to a stop as she passed the elevator, that was where she needed to go. Quickly stepping inside, she pushed the button to the third floor and waited as the doors slid closed and the cab began to ascend, why wouldn't it go faster? Were they doing it on purpose? Were they going to be waiting outside for her?

She didn't have time to try and find answers for any of her questions, they would have to wait.

The elevator shuddered to a stop and the doors slid open, upon the sight of no faces, she bolted out and down the hall quick to avoid the majority of the cameras, one person on one camera wouldn't be enough for them to find.

That would take hours.

She stopped at her door reaching out and twisting the handle, she softly smiled to herself once she'd noticed it was unlocked before stepping inside and cracking it closed behind her. She would only need a few things, a pack, water and some of the food she'd stashed away over the past two weeks, along with some clean clothes.

Earlier that day, she'd stuffed all of her things into the pack one of the girls had wanted to throw away, it was the only thing she had that would serve the purpose she needed it for.

A click sounded behind her as she picked up the bag, turning around, she could see Janson standing in the doorway with that infamous smile of his that everyone claimed resembled a rat, right then, she saw the resemblance.

"Esther, Chancellor Paige has requested to speak with you." she met his gaze, his nervous but steady gaze, it made her uncomfortable to be the thing he was focused on, peeking past him, she could see two guards waiting with their launchers rested on their waists, "what's with the security?" he glanced over his shoulder giving a slight shake of his head, "The Chancellor insisted, now, I think it's time we head over to see her." thickly swallowing her worry, she followed him out into the hall.

The two guards took position behind her while Janson led the small group back down the hall and towards the elevator, she watched as he pushed the buttons she'd known for years waiting for them to step inside before he entered behind them to remain at the front of the group.