Chapter One

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

WARNINGS:  Swearing because you know: Sanemi

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

(Y/n) — Age 16 — Rengoku Residence — Early Summer

Today Ryuko was still stuck at the Shinazugawa residence, and you were forbidden to go on any missions until your front healed and you weren't so stiff. It's been a month since your takedown of Lower Moon 3 and you were still in bad enough shape. Sadly, your entire stomach was torn to shreds by that demon's strange blood demon art. But that was the least of your problems, that in itself is fine. You could handle a little bit of pain. It's just that your brother walked out of Shinobu's office after one week of rest and left for a patrol with Sanemi the next day!

Shinobu is just protective.

She cares enough to be cautious.

You knew, yes. But Ryuko could have stayed at least until you recovered. It made you mad that he got to go out, but it scared you more that he's out there without your protection. You're certain Sanemi'll have Ryu's back, but sometimes that guy can take any moment as a training moment and leave Ryuko to learn to fight something off alone.

Damn it, (Y/n). He ain't little Ryu-Chan anymore.

"Good morning, Onee-san." You were pulled from your thoughts by Senjuro's small voice. He was kneeling down at your now slid-opened door with a pan of onigiri in front of him. Suddenly you caught onto the scent of...

"Salmon? Senjuro-san, don't tell me you actually made these?"

"Ryuko-san helped."

"My brother? I thought he was with Sanemi?"

"According to the kakushi that dropped off the cooked salmon, Sanemi-sama and Ryuko-san cooked this last night and sent these leftovers. I salted the fish and made you breakfast." Your mouth was already watering at the sight of food—real home-cooked food. You've been living on nothing but pain-killer-spiked porridge from Shinobu. Painkillers that only left a bland taste and did little to ease the pain.

Now you got to taste heaven again.

"I also made sure to add the painkillers Shinobu wants you to take."

Never mind.

"I will be taking my leave, dear sister." Senjuro gracefully stood up, slid closed your door, and likely went to sweep the house. That poor kid did nothing but chores all day. You remembered your older brother—Kai—when he was just about Senjuro's age—your mother had him scurrying around to do a hundred chores while your father went out hunting. Sweep the floor, wash down the house, dust the tatami mats, and oil the door. 'Go outside and tend to the rice farm' was the one you heard your mother command the most.

For all you remembered, it could've been the last thing she said before...

Ugh. Demons.

No. You wouldn't think about it. About either of your mother figures. Neither would want you thinking sorrowful about their deaths.

Now you feared that your biggest father figure was falling out. Shinjuro... all he did was, you didn't even know anymore. That man was rarely seen outside of his room these days. From what you've heard from Senjuro, though, he's irritable—an attitude that makes even Kyojuro hesitant and on edge to approach his own father. You missed the days he used to train all of you. Eagerly, mind you, as well. Kyojuro, Ryuko, you... sometimes even Senjuro would try. You would all be gathered in the yard competing who could swing the most, the hardest, the fastest. Kyojuro would always win. You think you had only beat him once, and that was because he was exhausted and allowed you to win.