Chapter 23 - Jehlani

Just minutes after I stepped out of the shower, Trent was walking into the room looking defeated. I made a promise to myself and him that I would never read his mind or get inside of his head.

"Hey babe, what's wrong?" He plopped down on the bed, and even though I was still wet, I gripped my towel tighter and sat next to him. He didn't say anything, instead, he got undressed, buried himself underneath the covers and began to cry. I quickly finished drying my body and hair and tossed my hair up into a quick messy bun, then I slid in under him and held him as tight as I could.

"Jehlani, do you have any regrets?"

"Hmm, no. To me, life is like a card game. I just play the cards I'm dealt." I spoke softly as I wiped his tears. It hurt me to see him like this.

"Damn, I never thought about it like that."

"I didn't always think like that. I used to be so close-minded, nothing could be said to me. For instance, most girls regret their first time, but I don't. He taught me some things about myself that I will always be thankful for but being with you has made me a woman." I placed multiple kisses on his forehead and tried my hardest to comfort him, but he began to cry harder. I so desperately wanted to read his mind, but I wasn't going to go back on my promise to him.

"Alpha, if you tell me what's going on, I just might be able to help. Let me help you." I lifted his head to make him face me and wiped more tears from his eyes. The amber was indistinct but the honey that rested in the center of his irises warmed me and broke my heart at the same time.

"My father thinks that his death is coming." I was blown away. I didn't expect him to tell me that.

"Is the Camden situation that bad? I mean, I know there's something we can do."

"After what my father just told me, I don't think he would want us to get involved."

"That's going to be impossible. I can't just sit here, Trent. I am a magus; I can help."

"So, you think I want to put you in the spotlight?? That's what he wants!!! To draw one of us out alone. I would die if anything would happen to you, oyin. I wouldn't forgive myself." Trent sat up and looked at me with wide eyes, and the amber was beginning to return.

"You've seen what I can do!! Let me help!!!"

"I SAID NO!!!!!" Trent roared as he jumped from the bed and towered over me. I noticed the amber was now scorching red and he was beginning to growl loudly.

"Let me explain something to you!! I am the Alpha of BraveHeart!!! I LEAD THIS TRIBE!!!! YOUR JOB IS TO FOLLOW BEHIND ME!!!"

No, he didn't!! I hopped up from the bed and got right in his face.

"I AM YOUR LUNA!!! YOUR EQUAL!!! I LEAD AS WELL!!!!" I pushed my finger into his chest as we both stood naked in front of the burning fireplace that I lit earlier.

"So, are you telling me that you are going to defy me? Don't make that mistake, woman." That was the last straw.

"The only mistake I made was thinking I could help your stubborn ass, and the mistake you made was thinking I was going to sleep with you tonight." I quickly turned on my heels and walked to the closet to put on my pajamas. I haven't had the need to wear them since I've been here, so I had to dig for them.

When I walked out, Trent was still standing where I left him with a somber look on his face. I glided right past him to get my phone, and he attempted to grab my hand. I swiftly moved from his reach and hurried to get my phone. On my way out the door, he tried to pull me in for a kiss, and I did what I promised him I wouldn't do: I got in his head and paralyzed him until I was out of his sight. He froze and I left him standing in the doorway until I was inside the unused guest suite that Afeni had made up for me. I slammed and locked the door because I knew that Trent would somehow find his way in here to convince me to forgive him. I turned my phone off, slid under the covers, and cried myself to sleep.