Happy Little Surprises

...meanwhile, back at camp

Annabeth and Percy were in the infirmary. Will was doing an ultrasound on Annabeth to check on the baby when Frank and Hazel came in. Normally, Frank and Hazel would have been at Camp Jupiter, but they were visiting Percy and Annabeth for the weekend. 

Hazel cringed and wrinkled her nose, "What's that smell?"

Percy shrugged, "I don't smell anything. What are you guys doing here anyway?"

"I think Hazel has a stomach bug," Frank explained, "She's been acting weird the last couple of days and she threw up this morning."

"I'm fine, really," Hazel said, "You're overreacting. And seriously, something smells weird in here."

"Maybe it's the gel," Will suggested, "Sometimes people say it smells weird."

Percy leaned down and sniffed the gel on Annabeth's stomach, "I still don't smell anything."

Hazel and Frank sat down while Will finished the ultrasound. When he was done, he wiped the gel off of her stomach and she sat up.

"The baby is doing great, Annabeth! It looks perfectly healthy," Will said, "Now what seems to be the problem with Hazel?"

"She's been really tired the past week, and she threw up this morning," Frank answered, "I just wanted to make sure she was okay."

Hazel rolled her eyes, "I'm fine, it's just a stomach bug. I'll get over it."

"When did you throw up?" Will asked.

"This morning. I feel perfectly fine now. The Argo II was way worse."

"Any other symptoms?"

"Not really. I've been feeling kind of tired lately, but that's probably just the stomach bug."

"Okay, it sounds like you probably just have a stomach bug, but I'm required to ask you some questions just in case."

Will grabbed a clipboard from a nearby countertop and ran through a list of questions. It was pretty standard stuff, just making sure nothing was seriously wrong. Then Will got to the last question.

"This one's a little personal, but I'm required to ask just in case," Will said, "Have you missed your period lately?"

Hazel blushed, but then thought for a moment, "Actually, yeah, I guess I did. I didn't really notice. Why? What does that mean?"

Percy and Annabeth glanced at each other. "Hazel, could you be pregnant?" Annabeth asked, "Missing my period was the way I found out I was going to have Fathom."

Frank went pale, "What...how...we only...we've only been married two months!"

"I'm pregnant?" Hazel looked like she was in shock.

"Missing your period doesn't necessarily guarantee that you're pregnant," Will said, "You need to take a test to be sure." He stood and opened up a cabinet, "We have a bunch here. The Aphrodite girls keep getting pregnant, so we decided to just always keep some on hand. Take two just to be sure." Will tossed Hazel two slim boxes. Hazel caught them, but still looked slightly dazed.

Annabeth got up from the table and guided Hazel to the bathroom to take the tests. Frank just sat there, looking shell-shocked. In a couple minutes, the girls came out of the bathroom.

"The boxes say to wait for five minutes," Hazel said, "So I guess we just...wait."

They sat in silence for a few minutes.

"I just don't understand how," Frank mumbled.

"Did you not get the talk, Frank?" Percy asked, "Well, when a man and a women love each other very much-"

"He got the talk, Percy!" Annabeth cried, "Thank you!"

Just then the timer in the bathroom went off. Hazel looked as if she was going to throw up. Frank looked completely terrified. 

"I can't look," Hazel breathed.

"Come on, Hazel," Annabeth said, pulling her friend to her feet, "What are you afraid of? That you are pregnant or that you're not? You and Frank wanted a baby! This is a good thing!"

"Yeah, but we didn't plan for one this early! And I'm so young! I'm only 21!"

"I had Fathom when I was nineteen! It was crazy and shocking, but so amazing! I was terrified, but now we have Fathom, and I wouldn't want it any other way!"

"Not telling our parents," Percy winced, "That part wasn't amazing."

Hazel took a deep breath, "Okay, I'm ready. Let's go." She led the procession to the bathroom. Annabeth stood by her side as she picked up the pregnancy tests. Two blue lines showed clearly on both of them. 

Hazel sank to the ground, her hand on her stomach, "I'm pregnant. I'm actually going to have a baby."

"Hazel, that's great!" Annabeth said, "You're going to be a mother!"

"Wait, you're actually pregnant?" Frank looked terrified and elated and shocked, "Like, there's a baby in your stomach right now?"

"That's usually how it works, Frank," Percy said. 

Hazel looked at her stomach in disbelief, "I'm actually going to have a baby," she said again in awe.

"Do you want to see it?" Will asked, "The ultrasound stuff is already out."

Slowly, Hazel stood up and walked over to the table. She laid down and lifted up her shirt so that Will could put gel on her stomach. He ran the wand slowly over her belly, then stopped and held it still. The screen showed a grainy black-and-white picture.

"Wow, you're actually almost two months in," Will said in surprise, "It's July now, so the baby is due in February."

Hazel stared at the little screen in awe, "That's my baby."

"Our baby," Frank took her hand and stared at the screen too.

So yay! Frazel is having a baby! Just a little one-shot, but now back to the story! If you have any baby ideas, please comment!