Nineteen

Trip and I didn't talk about the night he had his surgery any more, and I was glad. That wasn't something I was prepared to deal with. I preferred hoping rather than taking a chance with a fifty-fifty shot of succeeding or failing. I would rather not know than destroy everything we'd built over the years.

I sat atop a counter in Sickbay, looking down at a PADD with lines of text riding down the page. I was organizing the medical files for each patient that had been there when Phlox walked in.

"Emily," he looked at me and I directed my attention to him. "Have you fed the Pyrithian bat?"

"Yes, doctor. I did that this morning," I looked back down at my PADD.

"Have you sterilized the cots yet?"

"Yes, twice today, doctor."

"Good, then you're free to chat," he smiled, folding his hands behind his back.

"Chat?" I looked up at him with a quizzical brow. "What—"

"Meet Feezal, my second wife," he stepped aside, and from behind him entered a Denobulan female with a wide grin on her face.

"Hello, Ms. Archer," she stood with her hands behind her back, much in the way I had frequently seen Phlox stand. It must have been a Denobulan thing. "I am pleased to meet the girl I've heard so much about."

I smiled at her and hopped down from the counter. "It is wonderful to meet you as well, Feezal. I did not expect company or else I would have... tidied up my work space a bit more," I glanced down at my desk where several playing cards, along with a large novel lay.

"Oh dear," she giggled. "Darling, this is probably the tidiest spot in this Sickbay!"

"Then I haven't done a very good job keeping up with the cleaning; excuse me, I'll go take care of—"

"Emily," Phlox gave me a reprimanding look and leaned in close to speak confidentially with me. "I know that you prefer chores over conversing with new people, but I assure you, Feezal is quite lovely to speak with. If you would just give her a chance..."

"Yes, doctor," I stood and folded my arms behind my back. "Would you like a tour around the ship?"

"Oh, no thank you," Feezal waved a dismissive hand. "I am here to deliver this neutron microscope. It's quite alright, you can go do what you'd like, dear."

Just then, Trip walked into the Sickbay and I looked up at him. A grin spread across my face and I called out to him and stood to meet him.

"Trip! It's nice to see you!"

Then, realizing he had come to Sickbay, "Wait a minute, there's nothing wrong, is there?"

He chuckled. "Nah, don't worry about me, Emily. I'm just here to get back a piece of equipment that the Doc borrowed."

He stepped past me and Phlox handed him a small, tubular wrench.

As he stepped towards Phlox, Feezal smiled at him.

"Well, hello. I don't believe we've been introduced," her eyes raked over him and I felt a surge of discomfort, but I brushed it off.

Looking at Trip, I sensed that he felt it too.

He was rigid as he reached out a hand to shake hers. "Commander Tucker, ma'am."

She simply laid her hand in his and, unsure of what to do, he shook it anyway and pulled his hand back to his side.

"Well, Doc, I'd better get back to Engineering," Trip said, looking concerned. "Call me if you need anything."

"Very well, Commander," Phlox turned to me. "Emily, you can go with him if you would like."