Welcome To Women's Entire Lives

You’d gone for a dark, slightly shimmery purple dress that came down to the middle of your thigh, clung to your body, and had a halterneck top with a black band that encircled your neck. You kept your hair up, in an attempt of one of those loose buns you’d seen on the internet, strands of hair falling around your face. For your make up, you did the only make up you were ever comfortable with; winged eyeliner. Who actually had the time to do all that other face crap?

You straightened up and looked in the mirror. You felt good. This was going to be eventful. You pulled your Doc Martin boots on over your socks and grabbed your leather jacket, shoving your keys and phone in your pockets, then there was a knock on your door. You opened it to find Tom standing the other side, wearing black jeans, a white t-shirt and a black suit jacket. His hair was as wild as ever, and you liked that. You never liked the guys who looked like they spent longer than you to get ready.

“Hi, nice outfit.” You smiled.

“You too.” He smiled back. “Where is it we’re going?”

“Oh it’s in the Hilton hotel out by Redhill, so we gotta high tail it on the train there.” He face fell.

“That’s so far! I hate trains, can’t we get an Uber?”

“Unless you wanna spend like sixty quid, no.”

“I cou-“ You held a hand up.

“No. You’re my guest to this event, you’re not paying. Regardless how much money you have.” He shrugged.

“Fine. But just for the record, I have quite a bit of money, so if you want to be spoiled like a proper date, let me know.” He winked, then held his arm out for you.

“It’s not a date.” You sang, looping your arm in his.

“You say that, but here we are, dressed up, heading to a party, and we even have a room booked.” He bit his bottom lip and raised his eyebrows, trying to be sexy, but it just made you laugh.

“A room with a couch no doubt, which is where you’ll be sleeping if you try anything mister.” You closed the door behind you and started heading down the hall together.

“Yeah yeah, I know you hate sleeping alone.”

“I sleep alone all the time.” You protested, as Tom hit the button for the lift. He turned to you with a very sceptical look on his face.

“Tell me, right now, how many stuffed animals do you have in your bed?” He asked, making you pout.

“Fair point.”

As soon as you arrived at the party, you were impressed. Tom had opened the door for you, linked your arms together, and walked in like he was showing you off. A few of your colleagues had already spotted you and given you surprised looks, and you couldn’t tell whether it was because they knew Tom was your brother’s best friend, or because they knew Tom Holland, the Actor. Still, you pushed your awkwardness down, and focused on the fact that you were at a party with someone you were very comfortable with.

“Drink?” Tom’s voice pulled you out of your thoughts, and you nodded, pointing over to where the bar was. You walked together, because your arms were still linked, and it was relatively smooth, probably because you and Tom were about the same height. You drummed your fingers on the bar until Tom’s hand covered yours, stopping your nervous tic. You smiled sheepishly at him.

“Sorry.” You mumbled.

“It’s okay, but there’s nothing to be nervous about.”

“They’re all looking.”