Autumn - Epilogue

Autumn 🐝 - Epilogue

two years later...

Harry looks over to the passenger seat of his car. Looks over at Louis sitting in the spot that belongs to only him. And he smiles.

"What?" Louis asks with a mouthful of chips when he catches Harry staring.

"Nothing," Harry says, not able to wipe the dopey grin off his face. "Just looking at you,"

"I would too if I were you," Louis says kissing Harry's cheek.

A year and a half apart proved to be too much for both Harry and Louis. They knew they couldn't be together while they were still making the choices they were and still hurt by the things they had done to each other.

Louis broke down on month ten of not speaking to each other and Harry was quick to open the door for him. Harry couldn't jump back in and Louis had a lot of forgiving to do, but still, they fell into a friendship like they used to have.

It was easy, it was simple, it was everything Harry needed to heal his heart. Just like the first time, Louis was the one to blur the lines between friendship and something more when he and Harry were up late studying one night, and Louis leaned over the boxes of Chinese takeout and asked if he could kiss Harry. Just to see if they still had the spark, the love, the little gold string tying them together.

There was.

Just as there always had been.

Harry jumped right in, headfirst, and Louis followed full force. They let go of the past and grew up. It was frustrating at times to relearn each other; they weren't the same people that ran when things got tough. It was new and special because they weren't the same people they left of Louis' doorstep.

"Can I take you somewhere?" Harry asks as he turns off the highway.

"Do I know where?" Louis asks with a smile playing on his lips.

"Yes," Harry says with the same smile.

Harry parks at their secret spot and gets out, opening the door for Louis as well. He opens the back hatch of the car and they sit with their backs against the back of the seats, touching hip to toes as they watch the sunset. Louis shivers when the wind picks up and Harry snuggles him closer under his arm.

They watch the pinks, blues, and purples of the sky. They try to touch the falling autumn leaves with their toes hanging out of the back of the car. They sit quietly, letting the world revolve around them just as it always has.

"We fell in love in autumn," Harry says quietly as to not break the magic around them.

"We fell in love for the first time in autumn," Louis corrects.

"And are you in love with me now?" Harry asks tentatively. It's not something they've said since they got back together. Harry's felt it for a while, but he's been too scared to say it except when Louis was asleep and curled up next to him, or when he had his headphones on, turned all the way up so Harry couldn't distract him from his homework. Now, it was a question hanging heavy in the air between them, no space to breathe.

Louis looks up at Harry and with a voice smooth as honey he says, "I've always been in love with you, H. Never stopped, not with you,"

"I'm in love with you too, Lou," Harry says with a smile too big for his face.

"I know," Louis smiles. "I'm a light sleeper," he winks at Harry and slides out of the car, pulling Harry with him.

Harry takes a moment to look at Louis standing there in front of him with Harry's too-big jumper on, and sweatpants that are too long and his big blue eyes, and how it looks like the sun shines just to make Louis look like he's glowing, and Harry thinks he could sit here forever.

"Take me home," Louis says taking Harry's hand.

"Where to, yours or mine?" Harry asks. They spend most of their time at Harry's flat because he still doesn't feel comfortable around Jack and Grey and Louis can't get out of his lease until the end of term.

"I was thinking maybe we could start calling it ours?" Louis says bumping Harry's hip. "Maybe I could, um, I could move in?" he says like a question.

"You want to move in?" Harry asks with wide eyes. "But you're lease?"
"I found someone to take it over, but only if you want me-"

Harry over to kiss Louis, wrapping his arms around Louis' waist and lifting him up to spin him around once. "Alright, alright, let me get in the car before you attack me," Louis laughs pulling Harry's arms off and sinking into his passenger seat.

Harry drives off, taking the back roads and the long way home, just to savor the moment for a little longer before they walk into their home.

Harry can't help but to keep looking over at Louis, thinking about how far they've come from fighting each other under the bleachers. He watches Louis rest his head back on the seat and close his eyes and he watches the little smile pulling on his lips and he just watches the most beautiful boy he's ever seen.

"Stop being creepy," Louis finally says with a light laugh.

Harry stops at the streetlight even though it's green and he pulls Louis into a kiss.

"You know I miss you,"

"You know I love you,"