Chapter 5

Dominique watched her crew moving about the ship, preparing for departure. Everyone was awake and assisting, having been briefed on their circumstances. The atmosphere was grim, nearly everyone tired, angry or both. But they did their jobs without complaint, even the ones who would almost certainly want to have a word with Dominique later about what had happened. Despite the foul mood of everyone on board there was a certain excitement about getting back on the move after being docked for multiple days on end. They didn't often keep still and most of the crew had developed a preference for being at sea.

When they had finished preparations half of the crew went below decks to sleep, and to allow everyone else to take the first watch. The watch had been changed to better suit everyone's physical capabilities so some were being forced to miss out on sleep that should have been getting otherwise. Still, no one uttered any protest, realising the potentially dire consequences of causing trouble when they were all in a precarious position. Dominique took up position at the helm of the ship, though it was not usually her duty. The captain's job was to ensure that everything was running smoothly so usually a helmsman would have responsibility while the captain supervised the entire ship, but Dominique wanted to be alone with her thoughts for a while. And being allowed to simply focus on steering the ship while she felt the wind in her hair and the spray of the ocean was what she needed for that. Besides, they were a pirate vessel, no one necessarily had to stick militaristically to their assigned roles as long as someone else was picking up the slack.

La Baleine glided through the water smoothly, the wind on their side and the skies bright. They had gotten lucky with the weather and Dominique beyond was grateful. It seemed they would arrive at Silverbay on time. Perhaps even ahead of time if the weather held. That was likely wishful thinking though, Dominique could sense it in the air, a storm was coming within the next few days, she was sure of it. Her years at sea had given her a sixth sense for it and she hadn't been wrong for a long time. She only hoped it would hold off long enough for her crew to be safe, they didn't need bad weather on top of their water troubles.

***

They docked at Silverbay after a little over two days. It was a well-hidden place inside a vast subterranean cave system. The crew was exhausted, but everyone was holding up well. Vanitas had done well making sure that everyone was as healthy as they could possibly be. And, thankfully, the weather had remained mostly clear for the entire journey with only a small rough patch that hadn't lasted long. The moment their boat was secured at the wharf all the pirates who were still asleep were roused from their sleep and gathered on the top deck. Dominique stood before them all, looking the most tired of anyone, with dark bags under her eyes and a pallid complexion. Even after their two long days at sea their work was not finished though. Dominique ordered the strongest men still standing to accompany her and they travelled into the surprisingly large ramshackle town, to purchase barrels full of water and carry them back to the ship. They brought back as much as they could; enough that everyone could drink their fill and they could replenish their supplies. Once everyone had finished rehydrating themselves Dominique called for quiet so she could speak to them. Everyone gave her their full attention.

"You have all been incredibly courageous over the past few days and I am in your debt. It has been a long few days and every one of you has performed amazingly under pressure, so I thank you. Now! We must celebrate to our hearts' content! We are in Silverbay, a place free from worry and strife for outlaws and pirates! We shall be staying here for two days to rest, relax and enjoy ourselves so please use your time as you see fit. You have all earned it."

There was a somewhat subdued cheer in response, the pirates too tired to raise as much of an uproar as usual. But they all began to make preparations to disembark, grouping up with people who wanted to visit similar places. Dominique stopped Vanitas before he could scuttle off, grabbing him by the arm as he was about to follow Dante.