01. Mermaid and the Mage

Yashiro Nene wasn't your ordinary girl – she had long, flowing cream-coloured hair with light green ends, beautiful light pink scales, and a large, powerful tail that was green and pink in colour. That's right! She's a mermaid... and she had, once again, travelled up to the shore to admire the life of humans from afar. She thought that having legs was such a blessing – they could run, walk, jump... and not just swim all day – it'd get pretty boring. She liked searching for treasure (or rather litter) left by bipedal beings on the seashore.

That warm morning was an odd day for Yashiro, though. A lone young male was walking along the seashore. Yes! A chance to observe a human close up! She quickly swam nearer towards the shore to see better. He was dressed in simple clothing – a maroon, long sleeved shirt accompanied by loose black pants and a pair of dark brown boots. What intrigued Yashiro the most was the staff he wielded in his left arm. The boy seemed worried about something and was walking around in endless circles. Yashiro couldn't help but stare at how he walked. Something she did realise about this male was his height. He seemed pretty short for a guy supposedly around her age.

Just then, with a chant and a flick of his staff, a book appeared all of a sudden magically. A spell book to be specific. Yashiro swam backwards and hid behind a rock. Was he a mage? Woah! It'd be the first time she'd ever seen one! Ever since she was a child, she was fascinated by stories of mages saving and helping others. She heard they granted wishes too. It would be great, she thought, if he could actually grant me a wish. She was deep in her thoughts and fantasies when she heard footsteps approaching the rock she hid behind. Uh oh.

There was a shadow over her. She looked up, and there he was – the boy that she looked at just a few moments earlier. He had mesmerizing fiery orange eyes and choppy hair. The boy looked at her with pure curiosity. She felt her heart beat furiously in her chest – not because he was attractive – but because she was discovered. She quickly submerged herself into the water and was ready to swim away, but to her surprise, the boy was gripping her arm tightly. She squirmed and kicked the boy away from her using her tail, but it was no use. His tenacious grip couldn't be loosened.

"Hey," greeted the boy with a smile. "Are you a mermaid?"

Oh. That wasn't a threatening question, but still – what's his deal?

"Let me go!" Yashiro shouted then screamed on top of her lungs.

The boy quickly covered her mouth with his other free hand.

"Are you crazy? People would notice you!" the boy snapped.

"That's exactly what I'm trying to do you idiot!" exclaimed Yashiro angrily though her voice was muffled.

"Oh, right," said the boy as his face turned pink in embarrassment, then he drew his hand back. Yashiro could feel his grip on her arm loosen as well. "Forgive me fair mermaiden, but this is my first time seeing a mermaid. Do you mind if I look at you for a while? Uh... Don't worry I'm harmless. I swear!"

There was a moment of silence. Could he be trusted? The naturally naïve mermaid, Yashiro, nodded her head slowly - he did seem harmless (to her at least). To be honest, it was the first time a boy looked at her warmly, it made her feel special. Though in her mind, she told herself that she'd have to escape from him. After all, he couldn't really be trusted.

But wait. He's a mage. Maybe he could grant her a wish. And so, when the boy was still observing her and deep in his thoughts, she sneakily took his spell book that was left unattended next to him and waved it in front of the boy.

"Let me go and grant me a wish, I beg of you," Yashiro said, trying her best to sound serious and threatening. "The life of your book is in my hands!"