Chapter 2

I had no idea what year, day, or time it was when I woke up, back in the Hydra base, without any memories. They had completely wiped my mind. All I could remember was my own name, Y/N. My memories were faint and blank; I had no idea who my parents were, what my age was, my birthday, or even my friends, if I had any.

Now, I was sitting on a bed, in a completely dark and eerie room. Not knowing what to do, I just sat there, bringing my knees to my chest, rocking back and forth. As I did so, different kind of emotions suddenly filled me. I was completely frustrated, only remembering my name. I wanted to cry and scream at Hydra for doing this to me, for taking away my memories, for ruining my life. I wanted to pound on the wall and demand them to bring my memories back. The problem was, I didn't know which one I wanted to do most, and no words seemed to come out from my mouth.

Taking deep breaths, I decided to close my eyes, hoping that when I opened them, everything would go back to the way it was. That all of this was just a bad dream, a nightmare, even though I couldn't exactly remember what my life was back then.

I was broken out of my thoughts when a door creaked open, and I abruptly opened my eyes, seeing a tall figure making its way toward me. I gasped and was about to scream when the figure rushed and immediately stood in front of me, placing his hand over my mouth to prevent any noise I might emit. The sudden touch of his hand felt ice cold, sending shivers to my body. I looked down, only to notice that his hand was completely metal.

"Are you alright?" I flinched at his sudden question, surprised that he was talking to me in a way as if I was an old friend of his. "Sorry," he said, moving his hand away from my mouth, "I didn't mean to scare you."

I took a shaky breath, and found myself asking, "Who are you?" But he just stood there, backing away slightly, not replying to my question. There was silence for a moment until I spoke once more, "What are you going to do with me?"

"They call me the Winter Soldier." He cautiously took a step closer to me. His voice became quiet when he said, "I need you to cooperate. We're going to get out of here."

Confusion took over me completely. I didn't even know who he was. All I knew was that he was probably one of the people who took me here, a member of Hydra, so why should I trust him? "W-Why?" I asked, my voice sounded weak and hoarse, "Why are you helping me? I don't know you. You don't even know me."

"Because," he said, staring right at me, "I feel like all of this is wrong. When I saw them bring you here, I felt the need to save you. They wiped my mind multiple times, and yet I still remember that there's a girl in here, and that I have to save her. So, when I heard that you had woken up, I came all the way here." Now that he was up close, some recognition was forming inside my mind; it felt like I knew him. I was staring back at him so intently, and even though I wanted to avert my eyes, I couldn't bring myself to do it. It was like it would hurt if I broke my gaze away from his piercing blue eyes.

I took in everything the Winter Soldier said. Of course, I felt like all of this was wrong too ever since I woke up, but why would he feel the need to save me? Did he know me? I was about to ask him again when a sound suddenly blared throughout the building. The Soldier immediately grabbed my arm, pulling me and himself out of the room. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, following the Soldier as he led the way through multiple corridors. The annoying sound of the alarm continued to blare, meaning that Hydra knew what we were planning to do: to escape.

And to our luck, we miraculously got away from Hydra. My new found 'friend' seemed to know his way out of the building, so we had escaped Hydra that easily. The Soldier took me to an empty alleyway, my eyes fixed on the ground as we ran. But when we stopped, now looking at the scenery in front of us, I was completely shocked. There were odd vehicles passing by, tall buildings were everywhere, and people wore unfamiliar and different clothes from where I came from. I didn't know why I remembered these stuffs, but this was definitely not the world I knew. It looked so . . . modernized.

Then it hit me.

"W-Where . . ." I trailed off, my body trembling in realization. Noticing I was shaking, the Soldier put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it as if an attempt to comfort me.

"Do you trust me?" he asked, his voice utterly soft.

I took a deep breath, trying to get myself together. I didn't know why, but I felt like I could completely trust him, now that he just saved me from Hydra. Turning to look at him, I nodded to tell him I did trust him.