Chapter 5

Over the next several weeks, my bond with Bucky grew. We spent days training in labs and gyms together. I was really thankful that the Avengers accepted us; they were all very generous. Though all of this was still weird for me, waking up in a whole lot different world seventy years later. But I had Bucky; he was the only one who was keeping me sane these past few days. He was a wonderful person, and it was sad to think that many people thought of him as a dangerous human being. They should know that it wasn't the real him who did what he had done as the Winter Soldier. He was brainwashed and being controlled by Hydra.

As more weeks crept by, I found myself slowly falling for Bucky. I didn't say anything or act any different, but inside I knew I did have feelings for him. As weird as it would sound, I sometimes got deja vu every time we were together. It felt like I really knew him. That we had known each other from the past.

"Y/N? Are you sure that's safe?" Bucky asked me, looking at the razor I was holding. After a quick tutorial from Bruce on how to use a razor, I decided that I should give Bucky a makeover, just like what I thought he needed.

"No," I joked, and he gave me a cute, little frown. "Oh, don't fret. Of course, it's safe." With that, he nodded, silently telling me he was ready. I gave him a good shave and started cutting his hair, just like what it was in the 40's. Backing away from him to get a good look at my work, I felt my jaw drop. He was breath-takingly handsome. "Done."

Taking a deep breath, Bucky stood up and made his way to the mirror. When he saw his own reflection, I could see that he was in awe, his eyes glittering with happiness as he ran his fingers through his hair. After a moment or so, he then turned to me, his mouth slightly open, as if he wanted to say something. We were both silent. I stared at him, and he was staring back at me. It felt like something was expanding in my chest, his blue eyes causing my heart to skip a bit or two.

"Bucky?" I whispered, snapping him out of whatever daze he was in. Butterflies were now having fits in my stomach, and it made me feel slightly nauseous. He was looking into my eyes, and then at my lips.

"C-Can I?" Bucky asked, his voice utterly soft. I felt like my insides were melting as I realized what he meant, what he wanted to do. After a few milliseconds of consideration, I gave him a nod, and before I knew it, he had pressed his lips onto mine, his hands cupping my cheeks. As we kissed, memories of my past flooded my mind. My childhood, my parents, Hydra, S.H.I.E.L.D.

And then I remembered Bucky. I remembered him so well; the life we had together, and how it was ruined because of Hydra. A tear slid down my cheek because after all this time, he had always been the one who was missing in my miserable life here in this new world. Slowly pulling away, our foreheads remained pressed together. By the looks on his face, I could tell that he remembered something too.

"I'm so sorry," Bucky said, his voice cracking. "Oh, I've missed you so much, doll." My body was now shaking with tears, and I hugged him tight, afraid that if I let go of him, he would disappear, and I would never see him again. I leaned closer, trying to take all of him in at once.

"I-It's not your fault," I hiccupped, trying to hold him somehow closer to me. "I've missed you too."

At that moment, I realized that he was here, and that this was real. I didn't have to worry and wait any longer because I finally found the one I loved. I now had my Bucky. My soldier.