6. escape from reality

It was past midnight. Dahyun still couldn't stop thinking about Sana and their entire interaction earlier today.

It was crazy. Unreal.

The fact that she met someone she'd been waiting for for so many years.

Yet she couldn't say she was completely satisfied. It only made her want to see Sana again. And again. and again.

She was like a drug.

The younger girl was still unsure of what exactly possessed her at that point in time, but she shot off her bed and walked to her wardrobe.

She dug a little and picked up a crumpled piece of paper. The one she had kept for over a decade.

Sana's phone number.

So she dialed. A main factor of her courage was the fact that she didn't truly believe those digits were still Sana's number.

But it rang.

"Hello?"

Dahyun smiled to herself.

"I guessed you'd be awake,"

Sana recognised the caller immediately.

"How'd you know I was awake and that you didn't wake me up?"

"I don't," Dahyun replied slightly defeatedly.

"I was awake," Sana chuckled, realising Dahyun was still sensitive to her teasing.

"So you kept my phone number," The older girl proudly asked.

"Mhmm," Dahyun felt slightly awkward, almost regretting the choice to call. Sana must think she's crazy.

"I called because I want to see you again. Soon," The younger girl quickly blurted out.

"How soon?"

After a few more responses, Dahyun realised this wasn't really a one sided thing. Her stomach fluttered.

"Soonest. As soon as possible," She giggled.

That was how Sana found herself breaking into a prestigious kindergarten, in the middle of the night with a woman she met for the first time in a decade.

She couldn't remember the last time she had been so reckless.

"It's not breaking in! I'm a teacher, I have a key," Dahyun giggled after seeing the older girl worry.

"Then why are you whispering?!"

Dahyun had no rebut. What they were doing wasn't exactly wrong, yet it wasn't right either.

"I see you're fond of this place," The girls found themselves at the exact spot they were in the morning.

"There's more to it than I showed you earlier," Dahyun bit her lip and daringly reached for Sana's hand.

It's not inappropriate, why would it be inappropriate? The younger girl questioned, regretting milliseconds after their skin touched.

However, Sana didn't budge, so Dahyun played it off.

She pulled Sana around the pond where a whole bunch of huge trees grew.

"You see, behind these trees,"

"Is even more trees?" Sana replied.

"No, it's the prettiest forest in the world!" The younger girl replied, slightly offended at how unimpressed Sana was at the view.

"Well, it is pretty," Sana felt the need to please the younger girl.

They settled down on a patch of grass, Sana spent the first ten minutes complaining about how it kept poking her but then she was alright.

It was almost 5 in the morning.

"Do you want to stay for the sunrise?"

"I'd love to. I'll leave after that though, Elsie's going to make a fuss if she doesn't see me when she wakes up,"

Right. Because Sana wasn't the young childish ingenue she used to be. She's grown, matured.

She has a child now, for goodness sake.

It broke Dahyun's heart, to see Sana's grow old. But Dahyun aged too so, it wasn't a huge deal.

"Of course, Elsie first. Always," Dahyun ruffled Sana's hair.

That's the kind of courage talking to Sana for hours straight gave her.

"Hey!" Sana laughed.

The younger girl loved when Sana made big reactions. She found herself trying to bring her child-likeness back. Any way she could. She knew it was still in her. Just buried deep in the years of responsibilities, hurt and oh,  fame.

"It's beautiful," Sana looked in awe, face a little too close to Dahyun's as she whispered

Dahyun couldn't reply. She was too captivated by every tiny feature on her face. Her freckles, faint wrinkles, long eyelashes, her beautiful brown eyes. Her one of a kind face.

Sana noticed when she finally turned her head to face Dahyun.

"Well, sun's up! You should hurry home!" Dahyun quickly blurted, internally beating herself up for staring.

She must've looked so creepy. She must've scared Sana.

"I'll see you when I see you!" Sana brushed bits of the hidden forest off of her skirt as she stood up, Dahyun following along.

"You're not leaving?"

Dahyun shook her head.

"I have work here in like,"

Dahyun glanced at her watch.

"Two hours,"

"Well okay, go rest! Drink coffee! Or hot chocolate," Sana giggled as she ran into her car.

The younger girl watched the probably insanely expensive vehicle grow smaller as it went down the road.

"Oh shit," She mumbled to herself.

If she wasn't sure if she liked Sana then, she was sure she was in love now.