02. Gang Members Should Come Up with Classier Names

CHAPTER TWO

( I have this strange feeling that i'm not myself anymore. it's hard to put into words, but i guess it's like i was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. -- haruki murakami )

A U D R E Y

"Si no te levantas ahorita, te voy arrastrar de las greñas!" Audrey's mother, Laura banged on the door of her youngest daughter.

( if you don't wake up now, i will drag you by your hair )

The nurse sighed, glancing at the watch on her wrist. "chingada, Audrey! ya es tarde, niña!" Laura's footsteps receded down the hall to pressure her other kids to choke on their food before sending them off to school. Audrey's brothers were always together and always committing mischief around the house. Adrian and Alex -- one named after their father, Alejandro.

( damn it, audrey! it's late, girl! )

On the other side of the door, Audrey groaned into her pillow, wiping the drool off her face.

She dreaded going to school. She dreaded leaving her room. She dreaded waking up.

it was the first day and she could already tell it was going to suck. Her dad used to have this small tradition with her when she would sleep in -- it was unlock her door and yank all the blankets off of her before proceeding to dump a bucket of ice cold water on her.

At the time, she hated it when he did that -- she was always jumping out of bed before he could even knock on her door.

Now, she missed it. Audrey would do anything to have him throw water on her. It's the only way she could look forward to waking up for school.

Audrey rolled to grab her very broken phone from the stand next to her bed, Amelia's side of the bed already cold. She sighed, scrolling through her notifications, checking for any world-ending news that could get her out of school. Seemed like the world woke up and chose another day for that.

With a groan, Audrey sat up from her bed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as best as she could.

Her father was gone. He's been gone. He wasn't coming back.

He's not coming back.

"It's already been two years, Auds, get over yourself." She hissed, but the stinging in her nose would never let her forget it. Even though she could barely remember what he sounded like without any help from past videos.

Sure she had her daddy issues, everyone did. Her father was flawed and an angry man who was stubborn and didn't let Amelia or Audrey sleepover at anyone's house -- but, he did everything out of love. Even if it did annoy the fuck out of Audrey.

Every morning she would wake up late after a long night of no sleep, cry for a bit, then plaster on her smile that said "hey everyone i'm alright, but what's going on with you?" and walked out the door. Her act tailored to perfection.

She headed to the bathroom and brushed her teeth, combing the mess of hair into two little braids.

"Tas bien fea."